Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 30th, 2013 12:00

inspiron 17r 5721 Numlock on start up

Is there anyway of enabling number lock on start up ?

Thanks

5 Posts

September 7th, 2014 09:00

Change the default number to 2 for Num Lock on at start up.

If you wanted Caps Lock, Num Lock, and Scroll Lock on you would change the number to 7

Understand now ?

I don't know why if 2147483648 = 0 they just didn't have 0 as the default value. 

1.3K Posts

October 30th, 2013 14:00

Hi Teulk,

Go to Control Panel => Hardware and Sound => Power Options => System Settings=>Uncheck the option of Turn on Fast Startup.

If you do not see any System Settings option under Power Options, Click on "Choose what the power buttons do" => Click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable"  If necessary, scroll down to "Shutdown settings"  The first option  is "Turn on fast startup (recommended)"  Uncheck this option.

Reboot the system and check if the Num Lock works at startup now.

Please keep us posted on the results.

Thanks & regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region ->
US Customers ; UK Customers ; India Customers . For Dell support videos click  Here

5 Posts

October 31st, 2013 11:00

Thanks but it didn't work.

1.3K Posts

October 31st, 2013 12:00

Hi Teulk,

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry that the issue remains unresolved.

Please click on the link below for steps on How to Enable or Disable a Toggle Key at Startup in Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8:

http://bit.ly/I4PQx

Hope this helps resolve the issue. Please reply if you have further queries.

Thanks & regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region ->
US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here

1.3K Posts

October 31st, 2013 13:00

Hi Teulk,

That is great news.

I am glad to know that the issue is fixed for you.

Please feel free to contact us if you have further queries. We would be happy to help.

Thanks & regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell

5 Posts

October 31st, 2013 13:00

Thanks - Option two worked  :emotion-2:
OPTION TWO

At Startup for the Logon Screen
NOTE: This is before you logon to a user account. You will either need to do this in a Administrator account or have regedit Run as administrator in a Standard account.

Press the  Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type  regedit, and press  Enter.

2. If prompted by UAC, click on  Continue (Vista) or  Yes (Windows 7/8).

3. In regedit, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)

HKEY_USERS\.Default\Control Panel\Keyboard
4. In the right pane, double click/tap on  InitialKeyboardIndicators to modify it.

Toggle Keys at Startup-before_logon.jpg
5. Type in a number below for what you want, and click/tap on  OK. (See screenshot below table)
NOTE:  It is safe to change this longer default number  2147483648 (decimal equivalent of 0x80000000) It acts the same as 0.

Number Description
0 All indicators off (Default setting)
1 Caps Lock on
2 Num Lock on
3 Caps Lock and Num Lock on
4 Scroll Lock on
5 Caps Lock and Scroll Lock on
6 Num Lock and Scroll Lock on
7 Caps Lock, Num Lock, and Scroll Lock on

Toggle Keys at Startup-modify_before_logon.jpg

Close regedit.

1 Message

November 17th, 2013 13:00

Finally, a solution that worked! This has been driving me crazy trying to find a way to lock the NUM key at startup. I've spent many hours looking for a solution. Thank you  DELL-Babita S!

jadoke

1.3K Posts

November 17th, 2013 15:00

Hi Jadoke,

It is great that you were able to resolve the issue with the keypad.

Please feel free to contact us in case of further queries, we would be happy to help.

Thanks & regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell

5 Posts

November 18th, 2013 02:00

Not to take any credit from Dell for the solution but i had actually found this solution months ago, the problem was me :emotion-10: i tried the first option but it didn't work, i then foolishly dismissed the second option as i thought it was just a different way of acheiving the results of option one. Perhaps i should have read it more carefully :emotion-2:

1.3K Posts

November 21st, 2013 07:00

Hi Teulk,

Yes, that is true.

We hope your computer is working fine now. Please feel free to contact us if you have further queries, we would be happy to assist.

Thanks & regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell

2 Posts

September 1st, 2014 06:00

2 Posts

September 6th, 2014 13:00

Hi Babita S.

I'm having the same issue.  But I don't know how to edit the registry key.  I followed the steps shown.  But is the exact number I need to type.  It's currently like shown "2147483648" . So in other word to turn on the number lock.  What is the new value I need to type.  

I don't understand how to cross reference the values in the table show to the key.

Thanks,

Shawn

2 Posts

September 8th, 2014 19:00

Got it thank you!!!!

No Events found!