Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 6th, 2010 14:00

inspiron 710 sound problem

My sound suddenly stopped working on my Inspiron 710 laptop.  I have checked the mute, and sound levels on both video programs and the sound icon plus ran a computer diagnostic where I turned up an error code 4C00:0619.

my warrenty has expired and I am trying to fix this thing on the cheap.  Any ideas.

thanks

Rod 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 6th, 2010 16:00

Rod,

Error Code 4C00:0619 means you told the test you could not hear the internal speakers, but have you tried headphones -- either during the test or in Windows, it doesn't matter which?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 8th, 2010 05:00

Rod,

No reply? The reason I asked about headphones is that there is a problem common to the 700m and 710m where you get no sound through the speakers but the headphone jack does work. It is because the wires to the speakers break.However it is fixable.

3 Posts

July 8th, 2010 08:00

I need to get ahold of a set of headphones to test this.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver but that did not help either.  Is it possible the sound card is bad?  Who fixes speaker wires?

Rod

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 8th, 2010 17:00

Is it possible the sound card is bad?

Sure it could be that.

Who fixes speaker wires?

Well you said you wanted to fix it on the cheap so I assume it would be you. Here is a link to a site that shows how to do it.

http://www.lukemiller.org/journal/2006/06/broken-speaker-wires-on-dell-700m.html

After the speakers and wires are exposed you can either repair the wires or replace the speakers with new ones that have unbroken wires. The problem is that Dell does not sell the speakers w/wires as a separate part (you have to buy the whole lcd display for over $500 to get the speakers) so finding the speakers to buy is difficult. Sometimes they are available on ebay when someone is selling off parts of a junked 700m. For those folks who are no longer under warranty and cannot locate replacement speakers, the solution is to repair the existing wires.

3 Posts

July 8th, 2010 18:00

wow, thank you.  I went to the link and followed the suggestion to start an audio then shut the screen.  When it was almost shut, surprise, I had sound.  Now I know it is not the sound card but is in fact, broken wires.    The link has excellent instructions on how to fix the problem, not sure yet if I will tackle it or find some young kid to help.  Or maybe I will just pay up and have dell fix it.  In anycase, I thank you again.

best regards

Rod

4 Posts

March 1st, 2012 22:00

Hi,

I have faced the same problem with my Dell Inspiron N4010 laptop and now I do not hear the sound anymore.

I tried to follow the steps provided in the link http://www.lukemiller.org/journal/2006/06/broken-s peaker-wires-on-dell-700m.html

But I was  not fortunate enough to get the sound even I nearly closed my screen

After the sound not coming from the speakers, I was able to hear it from the Headphones.

But as intially I did not know it was a hardware problem and  tried to install so many drivers that finally ended up with No sound from the HEadphones also..

Can anyone please help on this? atleast from headphones I wud prefer to hear the sound :(

Thanks in advance

4.4K Posts

March 2nd, 2012 01:00

Hi mallada

Welcome to the Community.

Have you tried System Restore? If not try restoring your system to a date,when  you were able to get sound from the headphone.

For help to perform System Restore use the link below:

support.dell.com/.../document

To further troubleshoot sound issue use the link below:

support.dell.com/.../document

Hope this helps

Thank You

Roshan.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 2nd, 2012 06:00

I have faced the same problem with my Dell Inspiron N4010 laptop and now I do not hear the sound anymore.

I tried to follow the steps provided in the link http://www.lukemiller.org/journal/2006/06/broken-s peaker-wires-on-dell-700m.html

Hello. The link I put in to Luke Miller's page is for a problem with broken speaker wires on the Inspiron 700 and 710 models only.  You might have a similar symptom but it was probably from a different cause. Most of the time when audio only comes from the headphone jack, if the speakers are not muted  and re-installing the driver does not help,  the problem is a failed sense pin as described in the Headphone Jack FAQ.

But as intially I did not know it was a hardware problem and  tried to install so many drivers that finally ended up with No sound from the HEadphones also..

Can anyone please help on this? atleast from headphones I wud prefer to hear the sound :(

Now that you have no audio at all, see the "No Audio" FAQ. Try the basic steps first, System Restore and reinstalling the audio driver. If those do not help then run the Dell Diagnostics audio tests to rule out a hardware failure. Do the tests both with and without headphones,

tried to install so many drivers

It is a bit worrisome that you installed a lot of different drivers, because there are only 2 that are available from Dell for the N4010. The current one is Realtek R272187, and there was an older one, Realtek R258236. If you think you have a bunch of incorrect drivers on your hard drive, it might be a good idea to delete them and then start over. If you need help in deleting multiple audio drivers, see section 2 of the Audio Driver FAQ. However, note that you should have audio even if no Realtek driver is installed, because there is an audio driver built into Windows. This is explained in section 6 of the Audio Driver FAQ.

4 Posts

March 2nd, 2012 15:00

Hi Jimco,

Thank you for the Detailed information.

I have missed to mention few more things which pointed me to the hardware failure.

I did The Diagnostic Audio test (without the Headphone) and it failed

It gave me an error code of  4C00:00619. But would certainly try with a Headphone and update you.

There is always a Red cross symbol marked on my speaker icon on the tray.

I would try the below today:

1.Do a System Restore .

2. Delete all the drivers and install the two , trying one by one , which you have mentioned

3. Do the diagnostic test again with the Headphone

Thanks again

Meena

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 2nd, 2012 16:00

Meena, the error code 4C00:00619 means that you told the Diagnostic that you could not hear the music -- that the test played -- through the speakers. If that is correct then you have a hardware failure that requires repair. If you are still under warranty you should contact Tech Support to schedule the repair.

4 Posts

March 2nd, 2012 22:00

thank you for the info. I will try to contact support center

4 Posts

March 2nd, 2012 22:00

thank you

4.4K Posts

March 3rd, 2012 04:00

Hi Meena,

If you haven't  contacted support yet,please accept my friend request and send me a private message with the system service tag number.I can help you set up the service call for repair.

Thank  You

Roshan.

9 Posts

July 26th, 2012 14:00

I am having the same trouble, however I have no sound from my speakers or from the headphone jack. I have tried deleting and reinstalling the Sigmatel drivers but no luck. Any ideas?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 26th, 2012 17:00

I am having the same trouble, however I have no sound from my speakers or from the headphone jack. I have tried deleting and reinstalling the Sigmatel drivers but no luck. Any ideas?

Run the Dell Diagnostics audio tests both with and without headphones. It is unlikely that the test is still in the computer after all this time if you have an Inspiron 700m so use the test on the Utilities cd that shipped with the laptop.

If you don't have the tests on the hard drive and don't have the cd, use PC Checkup.

Is your model an Inspiron 700m? Is your operating system XP?

No Events found!