Highlighted
2 Bronze

inspiron 7720 motherboard in 5720 laptop

Jump to solution

I do computer repair as a hobby of sorts and I was recently given an inspiron 5720 to work on. After some tinkering I determined that the BIOS chip was bad as if the laptop turns off then it takes repeated attempts to get it to do anything but once the bios loads and you get into windows you are fine. Well the guy pretty much gave it to me because I do so much work for him and I really like it but I soon discovered the empty hard drive bay and how I couldn't use it and why(because the 5720 and 7720 use same chasis). Well now I want the 7720 and the nvidia graphics with the 2nd hard drive and I was wondering if I could buy a 7720 motherboard and put it in my 5720 case. Can I do it? Will it just 'slide right in' or will there be some unforseen problems? Has anyone atteppted this? Any info would be appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
2 Bronze

RE: inspiron 7720 motherboard in 5720 laptop

Jump to solution

I'm glad someone finally posted this info. I am in the process of sending back my first 7720 board because it would not start in my 5720. I was hoping and pretty sure it is a bad 7720 board. Now I'm almost positive. Did you ever get the 3D board or 3D working? I'm wondering if it will fly on the 5720 screen because there is a difference. Any other advice e?? I've only got a i3 2.4 chip, but I think that should work for now. Anyway thanks for the info and any update would be great. <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Nobody? Well I found  a 7720 SE mobo for $150 and a heat sink for $15 so I think I'm gonna go for it. If anyone is interested to see what happens let me know, otherwise I won't bother posting anymore. 🙂

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hello

I'm really interested if you could change the MB.I thought of the same thing after realizing that I can't change the GPU and can't change the keyboard to a back-lit one.

BTW I have the 5720 with i7....,8GB Ram and Nvidia ... 630M

I had other ideas like making a DIY back light for the keyboard or solder a port for the second HDD.

N33

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Well I'm about to find out when the mb comes in. I'll keep you posted.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I'm really hoping that it will work,I don't like like being in a dead end,like I bought this laptop and can't upgraded if I need to.

Anyway thanks for the info.

N33

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

After a very long process of buying a motherboard from china which was defective(I even tested it out on a working laptop) and then getting the non 3d motherboard by mistake from a different company, I just installed the non 3d mb and it worked just fine. At first there were some driver problems but I worked them all out. No problems 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Ohhh really nice !

I was thinking about this and I really would like to make the upgrade/mod.What is that 3d that you are talking about ? It is something for the GPU ? By the way what GPU is on that motherboard ? I suppose there should be the Nvidia gt650M.

Another thing that is really bugging me is "Can I connect an external GPU ?",because there is an M-SATA port on the MB.

Did you ever think about connecting an external GPU ?

Where did you buy the motherboard from ? Because I saw some MB's that are from DELL,but also some Chinese ones.

N33

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I'm glad someone finally posted this info. I am in the process of sending back my first 7720 board because it would not start in my 5720. I was hoping and pretty sure it is a bad 7720 board. Now I'm almost positive. Did you ever get the 3D board or 3D working? I'm wondering if it will fly on the 5720 screen because there is a difference. Any other advice e?? I've only got a i3 2.4 chip, but I think that should work for now. Anyway thanks for the info and any update would be great. <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

In short, a non 3d 7720 board will just slide in and work. You just have to buy the correct heat sink and to download correct drivers. For 3d you have to buy heat sink, video cable, 3d emitter, 3d screen, 7720 3d motherboard of course, and that's all I can think of. Also only a 3d screen will work with a 3d mobo, and vice versa. I tried it just to see.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I realize this is an older post but wanted to thank you for posting your experience with this.  I had just picked up a Dell 17R 5720 (3rd Gen i7 3612QM) off ebay but sadly with only the CPU supplied Intel 4000 graphics.  I did some quick searching around on eBay for the 5720 motherboard which has the 2GB nvidia descrete GPU.  I want to go ahead and take the plunge on this.  I have replaced lots of laptop motherboards so I have no problem trying this.  My main unknown is which motherboard to purchase..  I am not even bothering with the China sellers, I have seen some available from US sellers...  So according to your journey, you purchased a non-3D n7720 motherboard and its good to go in the 5720 chassis correct?  Would you happen to have the part number of that non-3D n7720 motherboard?  Is there any make of these boards with 4GB video ram and do any of the boards support 16GB or 32GB RAM?   Again thanks for all the information you have posted..it has been literally the only thing I could find on the Internet about doing this.  thanks!

0 Kudos