Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 19th, 2012 12:00

inspiron N7110 - 8142 sata 2 or sata 3 ?

Hello

I bought a laptop ( inspiron  N7110 - 8142 ) about 6 months ago.

I want to change my hard driver ( 5400 rpm 750 gb ) for a new one ssd.

This computer support sata 3 or sata 2 ?

sorry for my english...

June 19th, 2012 12:00

Hi Gianmosh,

Welcome to the Dell Community,

Thank you for posting on Dell Community Forum, The Inspiron N7110 Notebook supports SATA 2 and this can be upgraded upto 1TB, you shouldn’t have any issues if you upgrade the SATA 2 to 750GB.

The below link will give you access to the manual and the system specifications of your computer.

support.dell.com/.../insN7110

Please reply to the post if you have any further queries.

Thank You Gianmosh,

Aryan Vaishnav,

Certified Dell Community Professional.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 2nd, 2012 12:00

Chipsets aren't written in stone, but they are written in silicon - they can't be flash-upgraded, and mainboards are designed around them, so they can't be upgraded any other way, either.

September 2nd, 2012 12:00

The Inspiron N7110 Notebook supports SATA 2 "ONLY" Any purchase of a SATA III 6gb will only interface at II 3gb. I blew 100 extra to find this.

Are chipset's written in stone? or merely designed to prevent flashing the motherboard with new capabilities, and perpetuate the constant upgrade to the next one, no doubt limited again once a new interface comes down the pipes. Hopefully optical/quantum computers will obliterate chipsets??

September 3rd, 2012 03:00

"Chipsets aren't written in stone, but they are written in silicon - they can't be flash-upgraded, and mainboards are designed around them, so they can't be upgraded any other way, either."

Sorry, my comments were out of frustration, not judgement. However:

All software/hardware are designed to allow the companies to reap the financial cost in R&D, and collateral economic rewards for stockholders. Science, and price earn ratios, factor into the introduction of successive evolution in computer science.

Physics do constrain transfer rates in silicone; economics do, as evident by successive motherboards, and chipset that transfer at SATA 3. Technology is rolled out to coincide with techno/mobs, like Apple’s meaningless perennial iPhone’s permutations. It's the biggest in stock value to boot.

No Events found!