Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 20th, 2016 18:00

inspiron e1505 won't do nothing .

I was given a inspiron e1505 and it work when the people who had it and put it a way. when it was took back out the battery was dead and they plug it in and the battery won't charge and it won't power on with the ac adapter. There no lights coming on nothing. The ac adapter is working. I plug into my other dell laptop and it work. So it's not the ac adapter. I know they told me the cpu over heated once because the vent was block with dust but they clean it and it work after that.  What i done so far is taken the coin battery out and the laptop battery out left it unplug for two hours and put everything back in and nothing happen. So i am lost. Hope someone out there may be able to help. Thanks for any help i can get.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 21st, 2016 05:00

You can try a reset:

Remove the battery, hold the power button for 30 sec. with the system unplugged, and remove and reinstall both memory modules and the hard drive.  Try powering up on AC only - if it will, but won't with the battery installed, the battery is the faulty part.

If it still won't power up thereafter, the answer is likely here:

"I know they told me the cpu over heated once because the vent was block with dust but they clean it and it work after that."

All it takes is one overheating episode to damage the mainboard.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 20th, 2016 19:00

It's a bad mainboard - whether it's worth replacing on a system this old is up to your discretion.

23 Posts

April 21st, 2016 05:00

ok how did the motherboard go bad just sitting for month in a cabinet not being used. just wondering.

23 Posts

April 22nd, 2016 20:00

I got other motherboard off of ebay today. It's was a brand new one. I tryed what you said and nothing happen so i just got other one. Thanks for the help.

23 Posts

April 28th, 2016 11:00

I installed the new motherboard and it boots up fine and but after i installed windows 7 and reboots setup will start up and i get a blue screen saying hardware fail memory. I ran the memory diagnostics tool and it tells me nothing wrong with the memory. The memory is brand new too.  So i reinstalled windows 7 two times so far. It seems to get it when setup is setting up the hardware like video card and wifi card etc.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 28th, 2016 12:00

Sounds like a bad hard drive is a probability ... does it pass the extended diagnostic (i.e., the surface test that takes a couple of hours - -NOT just the quick 10  minute diagnostic)?

23 Posts

April 28th, 2016 13:00

Yes it pass the extended test. I installed windows vista on it with no problem but windows 7 won't install. I got one memory error with i was restarting windows vista. I change the memory with other ddr2 memory i had. So far it seem to be working. The memory i did have in it was for my compaq laptop i have what took 800mhz memory and the dell takes 667mhz memory. The memory i put in runs at 667mhz. Could that make the laptop get memory fail? 

23 Posts

April 29th, 2016 17:00

got it fix. It was the memory. I change the memory and it works great. Windows 7 installed great. I just got to get windows 7 to find updates. Thanks for the help.

No Events found!