Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 27th, 2017 03:00

install chipset drivers on service tag , W7

I just installed a clean install of Windows 7 on my E6510. This version of windows came with service pack one, and service pack one shows as installed. I have 3 GB of RAM installed.

I am getting errors when trying to install the chipset. I tried to install all of the appropriate dell drivers for my E6510  in the Dell recommended order , but after bios A17 which went fine, I kept getting errors on the chipset drivers. Specifically, the error I get says “this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software.“

In order to perhaps overcome the chipset install errors, I am first doing all of the windows updates that I can.

Several of the windows updates are failing, but I am working through them piece by piece.

Is there any reason that the system would not support Windows 7 64-bit?

I did not get any errors when doing initial W7 install, but now I am starting to ask questions with all the problems I’m having.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 27th, 2017 19:00

Service Tag-based recommendations on support.dell.com aren't perfect.  Sometimes they omit necessary downloads and other times they show unnecessary downloads.  Dell System Scan checks your actual hardware, so that's better, and your system might be covered by "Dell Command | Update" if you want to try that.  Don't worry about having installed drivers out of order.  If you didn't see any errors and Device Manager doesn't show any lingering unknown devices, you're fine.

If you just did a fresh install of Windows 7 SP1, you might want to consider manually downloading a few updates before even trying Windows Update to save yourself a lot of time and reboots.  The updates below must be installed in the sequence listed below, and it will mean your first Windows Update experience won't be excruciatingly painful.  I would post direct links, but including multiple links in a single post tends to get the post held for moderator approval, which can take a while to come, so you can just Google the names/KB numbers below to find the download pages from Microsoft:

- Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (unless you used install media that had it integrated)

- KB3020369: April 2015 Servicing Stack Update (required to install subsequent updates)

- KB3125574: Windows 7 Convenience Update (takes you from SP1's February 2011 state all the way to April 2016 in one big package rather than hundreds of individual updates)

- KB3172605: July 2016 Update Rollup (includes the fix for very long Windows Update scan times, so after installing this, you may still have a few dozen updates, but at least you won't be waiting potentially hours for them to even start downloading).

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

November 27th, 2017 06:00

You need to select the chipset for the Windows 7 32-bit which was the version that shipped with your laptop.

If you installed Windows 7 64-bit then you need to install the chipset for that version.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 27th, 2017 07:00

To expand on ieee488's likely correct answer, when you go to support.dell.com, select your system, and select Drivers and Downloads, the page seems to default to Windows XP. for that model  You do indeed need to change that selection Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit, based on whichever you installed, and download THOSE drivers instead.  There are a few different drivers in the Chipset category for that system, but the file name of the main "Intel Chipset Driver" you want is DRVR_WIN_R257446.EXE, and for that particular driver, the 32-bit and 64-bit versions are both included in that same file.

November 27th, 2017 16:00

I previously downloaded the recommended chipset versions for the 64-bit Windows 7 that I installed, which was not the same version of windows that came with the laptop.

Note that at first, I intended to do all of the driver in the textbook correct order, so therefore I had to download the drivers on another system and could not use the Dell system scan to identify all of the correct drivers initially. And I am certain from the drop-down menus that I picked the right OS version for the drivers to manually download (W7, 64-bit).

Once I got desperate, I started installing things out of order which enabled me to get on the Internet tonight and run the Dell system scan on the system of concern.

When I ran the Dell system scan, it identified the WIN_R57446.exe chipset driver you alluded to above.  This version worked and the chipset drivers seem to be installed now.  I didn’t finish all of the other windows updates yet, or move into basic software installs, but I think I am in the green.

My take away here is that either I really missed a recommended manual download from when I input my service tag, or there is a disconnect between this service tag-based recommendation for chipset manual downloads versus what the dell system scan recommended.

Thank you so much for your help.

No Events found!