Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 24th, 2017 14:00

intermittent crackling noise + lag when plugging external speakers

Hi

I've got a brand new dell xps 15 9560 for 2 days. I was ready to install 3 pending updates, but after installing them I'm experiencing troubles with sound. When nothing is playing, or when I just lower or raise audio volume, short static noises can be heard. 

These updates were about the BIOS, which is now version 1.5.0 from august 30 apparently (just giving as much information as I can - because I've noticed BIOS updates to pop up in some of the threads about audio noises).

Also, I'm a bit dissapointed that when I plug in external speakers via the jack, my computer will lag a couple seconds, and will not respond as fast as I'd like from this computer when I click 'external speakers' when it prompts me, asking what kind of audio input I plugged in.
I've browsed the forums for a solution, I've tried updating the drivers - which were up to date. I've tried resetting sound bit quality, but it throws a warning so I didn't dare messing with that. I'm also not messing with all these dell apps since I'm a brand new dell user, I'm not that experienced with what I can safely remove and what not 

So I'd like a solution for the crackling sounds,
and if possible I'd like to know if I can safely disable the maxxaudiopro promt when plugging in external speakers. I don't need presets for headsets or external speakers - I'll be fine setting sound volumes by myself if that's what this is about. If I can safely remove it, how should I do this best? 

9.4K Posts

September 25th, 2017 10:00

Hi soulcow,

Thanks for posting.

Several users have fixed the popping audio on the XPS 15 9560 by updating the BIOS to the latest version from Dells website, then installing the newest realtek drivers from Dell. Then  finding the setting under the advanced tab for the speaker drivers that says "allow audio enhancements for this device". uncheck the box, hit apply, and issue seems to be gone.

Right click on speaker, go to sounds, go to playback, right click on speaker/headphones, go to properties, go the the advanced tab, and uncheck the box that allows for audio enhancements.

Hope this can fix the problem for you

4 Posts

September 25th, 2017 15:00

Hi Robert

Thanks for the quick response. I've tried browsing through solutions first, but I did not stumble upon this solution. I just unchecked a box that allowed for hardware acceleration, I'm guessing this is what you meant. I'm not experiencing any crackling noises for now, so I hope the problem is over.

I'll check this answer as the right one when I'm sure it's over, but I'm fairly certain it did.

Thanks!

4 Posts

September 26th, 2017 15:00

Hi Robert,

I'm actually still experiencing the crackling noises when I'm raising or lowering sound. However, I noticed that it only happens when I choose 'external speakers' when the maxxaudiopro prompt asks which device I plugged in. So I'm not experiencing crackling noises when I choose headphones, though pluggin in external speakers.

Is there a way to prevent the prompt from happening, or keeping it on headphones all the time?

9.4K Posts

September 27th, 2017 04:00

Perhaps since this is a brand new system, you should perform a diagnostics test by pressing F12 at startup, make a note of any errors encountered, then contact Dell Tech Support for further troubleshooting. http://dell.to/2xF25cI

4 Posts

September 27th, 2017 15:00

Hi Robert

The diagnostics test did not bring up any errors. Although the crackling diminished, I still experience it even when I click the headphones option when maxxaudio prompts me. It happens when I lower or raise volume, or browse through a page like facebook. No crackling is audible during any music/video.

I've found another thread however:

en.community.dell.com/.../20011788

In that thread, and the one that is linked in it, they're talking about the audio card kicking in or going into sleep, which causes the crackling when it does. This is related to the power management of the audio driver. No solutions were found however, because messing with the power options is not possible on the xps 15 and other devices, or is it?

Could this be my problem, and if so, has any solution been found?

9.4K Posts

September 28th, 2017 05:00

Were you able to make contact with Dell Tech Support?  They will be able to troubleshoot with you and pinpoint the problem.

No Events found!