Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

October 4th, 2015 07:00

is the Latitude E5440 a good laptop ?

i order one and i read some of the reviews and there are not so good.  

130 Posts

October 5th, 2015 01:00

Had one for 18 months.  Common issues:

1. Poor fan control
  2. Non functional thermal maangement settings
  3. Loose battery causing reboots when touched
  4. Keyboard issues in Linux
  5. Boots when removing AC adapter

Have had various other software/BIOS issues caused by the bloatware installed by Dell and out of date wi-fi drivers.

Would be a great machine is if was properly engineered and tested.  Was a short-lived device and Dell see to have little interest in supporting it now.

54 Posts

October 5th, 2015 02:00

i got one from the dell outlet this weekend ,did you have all those problems ? 

54 Posts

October 5th, 2015 03:00

hi if i have problems dell has no choice their have to repair it .i got the one year protection  

130 Posts

October 5th, 2015 03:00

Not the keyboard issue as I don't use Linux on it and not the AC adapter boot, but seen others on here with those problems.

Sometimes I also get a flashing display when connected through a docking station and have to undock/dock to stop it.

Really hope you don't have any issues with yours otherwise you'll hate it!  Even a 6 year old Acer I've got is more reliable.

October 5th, 2015 06:00

Hello and good morning

It is Dell's Policy to send you a "like or better" computer. Considering that your model is older you will most likely receive a refurbished E6540. Inform the Tech Person that you WILL NOT ACCEPT anything less because of numerous issues. The newer Latitudes are unfamiliar to me as I have not researched them.

I just went to the Dell website and there are NO Latitudes offered. You may ask if there are any refurbished E6540's. A Refurbished computer may either be a return which is thoroughly tested or, for example, a company ordered 50 computers so Dell sends them to the customer. The customer decides that he only needs 40. The 10 remaining computers will be sent back and labeled "refurbished." Once the customer unwraps the pallet they are considered refurbished. I have owned a couple of refurbished/previously owned by someone else and had absolutely no issues.

130 Posts

October 5th, 2015 07:00

hi if i have problems dell has no choice their have to repair it .i got the one year protection  

Most of the issues I've had relate to Dell drivers/utitlies and the BIOS.  Technical support don't accept any support requests based on these unless you have a paid software support contract, even if you can demonstrate the bug with the factory configuration.

Only alternative is this forum were you're be lucky if the issue is picked up by Dell and even more lucky if it gets fixed in an update.

Even Dell employees that work on these forums admit it's a crazy situation.

54 Posts

October 5th, 2015 09:00

Hi will I be getting a newer computer then ?

No Events found!