Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 12th, 2012 11:00

keyboard not functioning

I replaced the hard drive on my N5110 and it has been functioning fine for a couple of weeks but... the keyboard has quit functioning, meaning I type but it does not respond, I need advise as to where to start troubleshooting, thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 12th, 2012 11:00

First thing to check is the connection between the keyboard and system board.

1.1K Posts

July 12th, 2012 15:00

Hi ecsaldana

Welcome to the community.

I will suggest you to check if the keyboard works fine in the BIOS(system setup) to make sure it works fine outside operating system. Please restart your system and keep tapping  "F2" as soon as the Dell logo appears. If you are able to enter the system setup, this means the keyboard is not functioning within the operating system. Please refer to the following link and re-seat the keyboard and see if that fixes the issue.

http://tinyurl.com/dx2e7xa

If this reply was helpful or if you need further assistance,kindly respond here. I will be glad to assist you to the

best of my knowledge and ability.

Glad to assist you!

Vikram

Social Outreach Professional

21 Posts

July 24th, 2012 20:00

yes and even installed a new keyboard- has to be an operational problem, it stops responding as I type or 'stalls and then catches up'. There are times that I have to restart the computer. Also note the touch pad stops responding as well but I never liked it and have begun using a wireless mouse.

21 Posts

July 24th, 2012 20:00

Hello- the link you included does not open- therefore I was not able to view it.

I purchased and installed a new keyboard on the chance that it was a connection problem or hard ware problem.

I followed the steps you provided and I did get to set up like you described but am unsure what I am to do with it from there.

I then Exited the setup and let it finish loading up and am able to right this reply to you. As I type, it stops for a couple of seconds but then 'catches up' and I can continue typing.

It seems the two main problems is the keyboard stops responding and the touchpad mouse also stops responding  ( as an example - the touchpad is not responding right now and I have plugged in the wireless mouse) , but if I restart the system they begin to function again. I am not so concerned with the touchpad because I prefer using a wired or wireless mouse but the keyboard is a frustration. I cant keep restarting the computer every time it stops responding and its equally frustrating when it stops or slows as I as typing.

Thanks - I eagerly await your response.

July 25th, 2012 01:00

Just try to Press FN+numlock , it not success replace a keyboard.

June 22nd, 2013 20:00

Those issues don't have anything to do with the keyboard, but something on the computer.

June 22nd, 2013 22:00

Something in Windows or your programs.

21 Posts

June 22nd, 2013 22:00

Please explain... I have given up on the touchpad mouse but am still frustrated by the keyboard

1.3K Posts

July 2nd, 2013 03:00

Hi ecsaldana,

Please boot to safe mode and monitor the system for a couple of hours. (Press F8 repeatedly on start-up and select safe mode option)

No Events found!