Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 10-15-2015 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

laptop power help

I have a dell Latitude D530 and when i plug in the power for it in the bios it will tell me it's not a dell power adapter. It is a dell adapter. I have a 90w and a 150w dell laptop power adapter. Could something on the motherboard may not be working. I took the battery off the motherboard for a hour to erase the bios but it did the same thing when i plug the adapter in. When i plug the adapter in my other dell they work just find. Hope someone has a idea what may be happening. Thank you for the help. 

Replies (4)
10 Diamond

It's either a bad DC jack or a bad mainboard.  The jack is soldered to the board on this model - and given that a repair will be well over $100, while a replacement mainboard runs $70-80, it'll be cheaper to replace the mainboard.  parts-people.com has boards listed for  $70 and $80 for this model.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Now if i take it apart can i test the DC jack. It boots up. Just won't charge the battery and the cpu don't run  at full speed since it keeps telling me i don't have a dell power adapter.

10 Diamond

There's a socket inside the jack for the pin on the adapter which identifies the power adapter to the mainboard.  If the adapter works with another system, the jack is bad - replace the mainboard.

If the AC adapter is not correctly sensed, the battery will not charge.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Thank you for your help. I took the laptop apart and found out the guy i bought it from had it apart too. The dc jack had wires he solder from the dc jack to the motherboard so it wound turn on. I price new motherboards on ebay and found one for 14.00 brand new. thank you again for the help.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor