Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 3rd, 2017 17:00

laptop to TV no sound through TV speakers

Lately, when I connect my Dell 5559 laptop to my TV using an HDMI cable  no sound comes from the tv speakers. This is a recent development ; the first few times the connection worked, with sound coming through the tv  and controllable by the  tv remote.

The only thing I recall doing one day was using headphones to listen while viewing a streamed tv show. I do not know if that caused the problem.

When I click on the sound icon on the taskbar and see  playback devices all I see active is Speakers and Headphones as the default device. There is nothing like " Use HDMI for Playback or Palyback input." I have checked through the ControlPanel/ sounds and there is nothing to show an HDMI sounds option.

The laptop speakers are fine. The headphones work. I have searched the forum and the web for information but I cannot find a specific answer to my problem.

Please help. Thanks to all .

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

This is a recent development

Hello. It might have been caused by Windows Update. You could try using Windows System Restore to undo some of the changes that might have caused the problem.

I cannot find a specific answer

Don't know the specific answer, but the first step is to reinstall the graphics drivers, which contain the controllers for HDMI audio. Go to the Inspiron 5559 drivers page to see links to all of the drivers that Dell has released for your model. Scroll way down to the Video category for graphics drivers. Your model has both Intel integrated graphics and AMD Raedon discrete, so download and install fresh copies of both.

Only get the ones for your operating system -- in the OS column, WT means Win10 and WB means Win8.1. There are drivers of different dates there. An older one might work better than the latest version, but to install an older one you first have to remove all files from any newer ones from the hard drive.

For more information on this topic, see the HDMI Audio FAQ.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

When I click on the sound icon on the taskbar and see  playback devices all I see active is Speakers and Headphones as the default device.

Forgot about that. Be sure to right click in the blank white area that contains the list of devices, and check the boxes to ashow disables/disconnected devices. Sometimes that will get HDMI Audio to appear in the list.

No Events found!