Highlighted
SteveZed
1 Copper

latitude e7450 ssd failure, under guarantee, Dell refuses to acknowledge data loss

Hi, We have a dell latitude e7450 still under guarantee. The ssd failed (no boot volume)  so we sent it in to Dell for repair and, if required, data recovery. The diagnostics say the hard drive is good, so it appears that the MBR is bad but not the ssd itself? Dell have come back saying that they want to reformat the ssd or return the machine in its current state (unusable) so that we can -- according to Dell -- recover the data ourselves (how?) This doesn't make sense to me. When I complained that Dell should not use ssds that fail within 2 years of (mild) use, the Dell rep told me the only thing defective were customers who failed to back up their data. While it is true that there should be a way to create a bootable backup of the data, and I've tried using Dell's backup solution without success, it remains the case that the problem arose due to faulty Dell design/product choice etc etc. So I guess I am asking Dell to pull up their socks, own the problem and send us a restored working computer, but also asking the forum if they believe the Dell rep  when they said we could restore the data or are the ssds toast? We were also told the technical team has been looking at the problem but it required more testing and, two days later, our data is gone... Thanks for your advice.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
9 Rhodium

RE: latitude e7450 ssd failure, under guarantee, Dell refuses to acknowledge data loss

Dell is not responsible for data or data recovery - no manufacturer takes responsibility for it.  If you did not back up  your data, you're out of luck (and sending an SSD off for data recovery is likely to cost well over $1,000).

See "receiving warranty or service support" here:

www.dell.com/.../terms-of-sale-consumer-terms-of-sale

0 Kudos
SteveZed
1 Copper

RE: latitude e7450 ssd failure, under guarantee, Dell refuses to acknowledge data loss

Hi, ein63, thanks for the reply. I think you will find that Dell is 100% responsible in the case of poor design or negligence no matter what is written in their terms of service. It may come as a shock to you and Dell but the laws written by Congress take precedence over documents written by Dell LOL My point is that in a case where Dell are responsible for the SSD failure (which they are) it is incumbent upon them to try to recover the data. If the airline sends your luggage to the wrong airport can they make you pay to get it sent to the correct airport? You did not answer my query about whether the Dell rep was blowing smoke when he suggested that we recover the data ourselves. I did point out that I tried to use the Dell backup software and it did not work! And I am miffed that the Dell rep said the Dell customers were defective.

0 Kudos
SteveZed
1 Copper

I might add that this is the second serious failure of this computer.  Dell have tried to squirm out of honoring the guarantee, I had to send screenshots showing we still have about 250 days of warranty left.

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

Dell is responsible for the hardware under warranty. You are responsible for your data and if you failed to back it up -- after a second failure -- that's just outright negligence.

0 Kudos
oliverpowell
1 Nickel

Once data get lost from the drive then it cannot be recover without taking help from the expert. I would suggest if your data is important and you want it back then don’t take risk and download a laptop drive data recovery software ( www.stellarinfo.com/windows-data-recovery.php ). If you don’t recover your data and use that drive for further then you won’t get your data back ever as it may get overwrite by the other data.

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

I'm unaware of ANY laptop manufacturer that offers data recovery services, in fact Dell and others specifically warn that you should back up your data BEFORE sending the hardware to them in case they need to wipe the drive as part of their troubleshooting.  There are MANY tools available to back up data, some of which are even free. One such example is Macrium Reflect, which can capture a full image of your hard drive either from within Windows or via a bootable DVD/flash drive you could have created on another PC if you couldn't boot this one.

If the hard drive had turned out to have a hardware issue rather than a file system corruption issue, then Dell would have simply replaced the hard drive, not offered to recover data from your existing drive.  They do offer a "Keep Your Hard Drive" warranty option that would have allowed you to keep the old drive if Dell replaced it, in which case you could have sent it for professional data recovery at your expense. Some people also get that option just to avoid giving Dell a hard drive that contains their personal data in order to get a replacement, although using encryption addresses that concern as well.

So yes, Dell is responsible for having built a system that included a part that failed, but they are not responsible for the data that was lost on it. You can and very obviously do feel otherwise, but that's simply not how the industry works, and I don't think you'll find any acts of Congress that specifically address this issue, otherwise this wouldn't be how the industry worked. But if you do, please let us know.

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

What does strike me as odd, though, is that Dell gave you the option to have your system returned to you as-is and is now saying your data is gone.  When they gave you the choice of returning it as-is or reformatting, what did you tell them?  If you told them to proceed with that option, then you're stuck, but if you said you would get back to them with a decision or something, then I'm wondering what they did over the 2 days of additional testing that you mentioned that rendered your data unavailable. And while I agree it wasn't really appropriate for a Dell rep to call a customer defective for not backing up data, in fairness, you are displaying a rather shocking lack of accountability on that front.

It's certainly unfortunate that your mildly used SSD failed within 2 years, but don't turn this into "Dell's design choice".  Dell didn't choose SSDs that only have a 2-year lifespan; they use SSDs from top manufacturers in the business like Samsung and Toshiba. The fact is that you probably just happened to get a defective example. Hard drives are the most common PC component to fail, whether they're the spinning variety or an SSD, which is a big reason why people back up their data.

0 Kudos