Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2013 01:00

lost external drive backup files to recovery creation

Inspiron 15z Ultrabook, Windows 8, DELL System Recovery.

I have an external Seagate Expansion Drive 2TB and had backup files on it. I created a new partition by shrinking the E: volume and made F: to use for the DELL System Recovery.

I selected the F: partition when asked what drive to use. I was 100% certain E: would never chosen during any steps in the process. After it finished I looked in Computer and found both partitions had been formatted and a DBR_Boot placed in both. Yet E: (where personal files were stored) is basically empty other than what appears to be a boot up capability and F: has the recovery files.

Why has this happened? I need those files. Is there a way to reverse the process or will file recovery software be needed in an attempt to regain those files? Or is something else wrong?

I can't believe this hasn't happened to other people, must be a common occurrence. Please inform me of what I could do to recover lost files.

331 Posts

April 24th, 2013 02:00

TTT

So no one else used their external disk drive with 2 partitions and did a Recovery setup with their new Dell computer then discovered it wipes out not just one but both partitions??

I have tried recovering lost files using a program that claims to solve this kind of unwanted format problem but it couldn't reclaim most files.

Seems like this couldn't be an isolated incident. Maybe user error, sure, if I were supposed to know an entire external drive would be affected by using the Dell Recovery utility even if it's partitioned. I mean, who wouldn't expect the ability to use a partitioned HDD and only the selected drive letter to get formatted? Well, obviously me, but must be other people doing the same.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 24th, 2013 04:00

It is true that the Dell backup does wipe out the drive you use to make the restore -- and there is a warning to that effect before the process begins.  Did you not heed that warning?

331 Posts

April 26th, 2013 09:00

Well, that's the question I suppose.

By selecting my new partition F: on the external drive E: I expected it to use only F: and not format E: in the process. The warning didn't seem to indicate it would do anything other than use the drive letter I chose, and this could be the real issue.

Does the warning mean the HDD entirely, partitions included? Apparently the answer is yes. I think other people than just me would also expect only the selected drive (letter) to be used and not do anything to others.

No Events found!