Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 2nd, 2013 14:00

making an external monitor automatically the main when plugged in.

My wish is to make an external monitor automatically the main screen when I plug it in as I have the extra monitor already on my desk. I already know know how to make it become the main screen, however I wonder if there is a way with a " INSPIRON 1525" to make it automatically  become the main screen when plugged in.

I would appreciate any help or ideas. thank you.

1.8K Posts

January 3rd, 2013 03:00

Hi mikevc999, 

If you are using Windows Vista or 7, you can try the following steps, that might work: 

1. Right click on your desktop and click 'Screen Resolution'.  
  2. When that window opens up, there would be 2 screens detected. 
  3. Then, under Multiple Displays, select that screen has default.
  4. If you don't know which screen is the external. click on identify and system will automatically detect the connected primary display. 

Hope this helps. 

1.8K Posts

January 4th, 2013 21:00

Hi mikevc999,

I am glad that the issue is resolved.

Please feel free to get in touch in case you have any further questions. 

3 Posts

January 4th, 2013 16:00

Hello DELL- Chairman S, I attempted the "Right click" on the Desktop however on this computer there was no 'Screen Resolution" listed in the options. Is there a way to change the current software on the external monitor I wonder. would it be possible to change or add a new set to the software on a "AOC" external monitor?

3 Posts

January 4th, 2013 16:00

dear DELL-Chairman S.

I apologize for the last note because I have found that instead of "Screen Resolution" my computer shows "Graphics Properties" which does the same thing as what you had first suggested. Thank-you very much for your help!

from,

mikevc999

No Events found!