Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2013 08:00

my Dell Inspiron N5050 laptop won't start up

Last night, my laptop got switched off on its own due to low battery but after that when i started it by pressing power button, it shows the dell logo, goes to a black screen with a white cursor then comes back to the dell logo again and it is repeating itself.

I went to the boot option(F12)>Diagnostics. It shows-

---------------------------------------------

Error Code 2000-0142

Validation 22633

Msg:  Hard Drive 0-S/N S2WAQ16L, self test unsseccusful. Status=7

The given error code and message can be used by Dell Technical Support to help diagnose the problem.

Do you want to continue testing.

-----------------------------------------------along with 7 periodic beeps and Caps Lock blinking along the beeps. 

Here are a few things i tried that didn't work-

1. took off the battery, put it back and switched on.

2. pressed the F2 key, went to the advanced option>SATA Operation. It is AHCI beforehand and among options there are ATA and AHCI only.

3. went to the boot option. Selected hard drive as 1st priority.

4. The fixed HDD option shows the name and size correctly.

5 Tried the restore defaults option in EXIT tab.

The F8 key doesn't show any option. There is no beep sound either. 

Please help. I don't want formatting to be an option.

August 12th, 2013 10:00

Just faced the similar HDD issue with my inspiron N5010. I contacted dell support and they blindly told me replace the HDD. I did some research and found out that my drive has bad sectors. Windows just refuses to boot if it finds any such errors in the HDD error log. Here is what i did-

1. Booted my system using a live CD of fedora(LINUX). You can get it(or any other basic Linux OS like UBUNTU) for free.

2. After booting, the OS notified me of a failing HDD. I took my backup, erased the partitions, created new volumes and formatted them.

3. Rebooted, with a windows 7  dvd, installed a fresh OS, and volllah !! It works like magic.

When you format an HDD, the bad sectors are removed from the map of available sectors.

Note: This will work only if you disk's good sectors are accessible.

807 Posts

Looks like a failing HDD. Back up your important data / personal files and replace drive.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

You have a bad hard drive -- you need a new, 2.5" 5, 7 or 9.5 mm SATA notebook drive.

4 Posts

August 12th, 2013 09:00

Also I have two operating systems installed. Windows 7 Professional and Windows 8 if it helps.

4 Posts

If it adds any help in finding a solution, I also have two operating systems installed in my laptop, windows 7 professional and windows 8.

3.3K Posts

Hi S_kaushik,

The error 2000-0142 error indicates hard drive failure on the computer.

If the computer has active warranty I shall go ahead and arrange for a service to replace the part.

Check warranty status: http://dell.to/10pMa86

Kindly private message me the service tag of the computer. To private message the service tag click my User name and click Start conversation.

Awaiting your response!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 12th, 2013 11:00

It's also only a temporary coverup - if you see bad sectors on any modern drive, the drive isn't long for this world.  It's been severely damaged.

August 14th, 2013 22:00

totally agree, but it can buy you some time if you don't wan't to buy it right now, and you don't have back-up issues.

Also, there is an increasing chance of motherboard failures in laptops. You might want to buy a new one if that's the case. (my XPS L702 crashed last week, motherboard failure.)

4 Posts

September 27th, 2013 12:00

hey, sorry for replying this late.. long story..

but my laptop is all fixed now.. and they did the same thing as you suggested..

Thanks a lot for your reply... :)

March 17th, 2014 12:00

Where would you suggest I download fedora and how would I properly save it to a cd/DVD to complete the booting process correctly?

No Events found!