Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2009 06:00

my XPS m1710 video card fried what are my options?

So my geforce go 7900 gtx video card fried and I know the only upgradable card out there is the geforce go 7950 gtx.  My warrantee just ended so I am looking for solutions to fix my laptop.  Does dell sell these video cards? Can you send in your card to be refurbished for a fee?  What are some options for me?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 29th, 2009 07:00

The 7900 and 7950 cards are still available - all will be used/refurbished and expect a price of $450-500 or more for the 7950GTX.

2 Posts

November 29th, 2009 08:00

Where are these for sale?  I have searched the dell site and cannot find them.  Also is there a service that lets me send in the broken one to be fixed so i can sell or use?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 29th, 2009 08:00

I don't know of anyone who will repair a notebook video card - given the size and density of the circuitry, it's unlikely anyone reputable would even try doing the job.

You can call Dell and ask for the Spare Parts department for a price if you want to purchase from Dell.

Here's one other option - a google search turned up many others:

http://www.global-motherboard.com/dell-video-card/GU067-512MB-Dell-M1710-Nvidia-Geforce-7950-GTX-Video-Card.html

29 Posts

December 14th, 2009 10:00

I am in the same situation with my XPS 1710.

My 7900 GTX was replaced under warrenty in Jan 2009 with a 7950 GTX .

My 3 year warrenty on my XPS expired in June 2009.

Now in December my Graphics card 7950 GTX is no longer functional..green dotted lines etc..can't boot with picture now.

Anyways,,I have no Complete Care warrenty to cover the laptop, but since the replaced card is not even a year old , I would have assumed that therer would be some sort of warrenty on this card. In contacting Dell , I am informed that the card is not warrentied and I am basically out of Luck.

I stongly feel if this is an opportunity with all cards and this particular notebook , that Dell should be taking care of its customers with a recall

or some sort. I can buy a new card , but I now know that it will not last very long and will have to replace it within a year or so and pay another $500.

This is so wrong and unfortunate that a company like this would treat it's customers with disrespect in terms of provding good customer service and taking care of us.

2 Posts

December 14th, 2009 14:00

I tried the oven trick last night and I must say I was skeptical at first but hey it's already broken can it get any worse, what do you have to lose? It WORKED!!! I couldn’t believe it.

* Take the NVidia 7950 GTX out of your laptop, remove the metal cooling case around it, even the black one under it.
* Pre-heat the oven for approximately 10 minutes at 150 °C - be carefull, do not use a Microwave oven, and in btw these are Celsius degrees, not Fahrenheit
* Put your NVidia 7950 GTX in the oven - naked, without the cooling casing, not directly on the cooking plate use a cooking paper to avoid metal contact - for 3 minutes on each side (for a total of 6 min)
* Take it out and let it cool down completely
* Once completely cool, put it back in the computer. It should boot without any problem, there might still be some little artifacts or bars left on the screen the first 2 boots, but they should dissapear.

The website says that the problem with these video cards come from the contacts between the layers of the chip's printed circuits that get a little bit messed up with time, and a bit of heating put them back to order !"

This worked for my 7950 Go GTX. Just remember, the instructions say 150 c, that is 302 f, and I used regular printer paper, 4 sheets folded in half, so 8 thick as a bed. It won't ignite until about 450 f so it's pretty safe.  :emotion-2:

Still doesn't change the fact that we have to do this at all! So sign the p3t1ti0n if you haven't already. Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 10th, 2010 09:00

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsM1710/en/SM/index.htm

29 Posts

January 10th, 2010 09:00

Hi!

Can I get some direction on how to install the new card.

Just need some guidance on opening up the casing so I don't break anything.

Already have the keyboard peeled back.

Thanks,

29 Posts

January 10th, 2010 18:00

Thank you!

Got the new card installed and it works great!!

Now I will have to try the baking method to recover my previous card. :)

Nothing to loose!!

No Events found!