notyme
1 Copper

my dell latitude e6420 screen goes blank when it has to boot

my dell latitude e6420 screen goes blank and stays blank when it has to boot from the internal hhd or usb or even cd, i can not even run diagnostic test. all my laptop can do now is go to Bios settings. it turns and stays blank when not at bois. plz help me...very urgent.

0 Kudos
36 Replies

Re: my dell latitude e6420 screen goes blank when it has to boot

Hi notyme,

Welcome to the Community.

Unplug the adapter and the battery. Press and hold power button for 20 seconds. Plugin the adapter. Press and hold “Fn” key while turning on the system. Hold it down until the diagnostic starts. For more information click the link mentioned below:

http://dell.to/RO1v0p

Please refer to the link mentioned below for information on error codes:

http://dell.to/12IFoz8

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
notyme
1 Copper

hello DELL-MANSHU 

am very grateful for the response. i tried what u said...at the logo boot...it showed "entering diagnostics" but right after the Dell logo screen goes, the screen stays blank forever.

only places the screen displays is there Dell logo and only if i choose to enter BOIS setting..

i also release the single USB port on the left side and the e-SATA port  do not respond when i placed a bootable usb drive in them to try to run windows. the other 2 usb ports by the e-SATA port responded but when i choose to boot from the flash drive, screen goes blank and stays blank forever .please me!!!!!!!!! 

0 Kudos

Hi notyme,

Restart the system. Press F2 for BIOS. Let me know if the hard drive is detected in the BIOS.

Did you connect any external display lately?

Connect an external display and check if the display comes on it.

Also, try pressing F12 on the Dell Logo and check if the system boots to One Time Boot Menu. If yes, highlight diagnostics and hit enter.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
Harinder Giri
1 Copper

Hi Mansu

I have the exact same problem  with Dell E6420  it goes to Dell Logo  i can use F2  and F12  ,

I does detect the hard Drive,  i have change the bios to default ,  Still no help

I have Pressed F12  , and chose dignostics ,  allso boot from Cd  still blanck screen after that

I have tried external display its still the same

Thanks

Harinder

0 Kudos

Hi Harinder,

As you mentioned that you are able to open one time boot menu, I would suggest you to perform diagnostics on the system to check if it is a hardware issue.

Also, you may refer to the link mentioned below:

http://dell.to/19UfI4w

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
Harinder Giri
1 Copper

Hi Manshu, 

i can go into one time boot  menu but as soon as  i select any option is goes blank  and does not respond 

0 Kudos

Hi Harinder,

It seems to be an issue with the system board.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and name listed on the account so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
barbers
1 Copper

RE: my dell latitude e6420 screen goes blank when it has to boot

Hello Mr Manshu,

I have similar problem with my dell E6420,  This morning, after leaving the computer in standby mode, I came back about an hour later to a computer that would not come back into operation. After turning it off and trying to restart it, it shows there is power to the system, but the hard drive doesn't work (the hard drive light flickers just once after I hit the power button, then goes dark). The power source is working fine.

I've tried rebooting and hitting F2 or F1 multiple times to try to get into BIOS and reset the boot order so I could use a recovery CD, but I can't even get into BIOS. Literally nothing ever comes up on the monitor.

Do you have any advice to get it into operation again?

Cheers

Mauro

0 Kudos

RE: my dell latitude e6420 screen goes blank when it has to boot

Hi Mauro,

I recommend you to remove static charge. For that remove the battery and disconnect the ac adapter, press and hold the power button for 20 to 30 seconds. Now connect only the ac adapter and wait for 30 seconds and turn on the system. This will drain any residual charge in the capacitors.
Also check if you can run diagnostics on the hardware components of the system. Press and hold the Fn key on the keyboard and power on the computer to launch diagnostics. Refer to the following link for assistance:

http://dell.to/16KQ3r0

Reply to the post in case of any error message.

Thanks and Regards,
DELL-Sujatha K
Dell Social Media and Community Professional
#iwork4Dell
Order Status
Download Drivers

0 Kudos