Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 20th, 2010 14:00

my first updates

My apologies in advance for what is probably a stupid newbie question.

I took my virgin Inspiron 1525 to a WiFi hotspot and downloaded all of the recommended updates, as per the instructions, leaving everything to the defaults. I ended up with twenty-some .exe files and several .zips in the "My Documents" folder (Windows 7). Upon shut down, it said something to the effect of "Installing updates 1 of 583. Please do not unplug or turn off your computer."

I figure that somewhere along the line, I should've directed those files to the Windows TEMP folder in the Program Files folder, right? What, if anything, do I need to do with those files now? Do I need to run each of  them? Can I just delete them? How do I avoid a recurrence of this in future updates?

Hmmm...looks like I should've made "stupid newbie question" plural...

Thank you, kind people, for your time and the benefit of your expertise. 

398 Posts

January 20th, 2010 15:00

Did you download updates from both Dell and Windows Update?

I am assuming there are some downloads from dell since there were both zip files and exes. Once the exes are run to update Dell's hardware (you typically have to click through them for the drivers to be applied) you can delete the zip and exe files. Dell saves the files it needs to C:\Drivers.

Another thing, once my computers are running smoothly, I do not bother running hardware updates unless I run into a specific problem. Then, I will check to see if the updates address a specific concern.

Software updates (from Windows Update, Adobe, antivirus, etc.) are another matter. I generally apply the updates when released.

4.6K Posts

January 21st, 2010 07:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

As per who's instructions?  Dell's?

And when you say "recommended updates" - are you referring to Windows Updates?

I ask, because there are no Windows 7 drivers for the Inspiron 1525?

But even if there were Windows 7 drivers available, they don't auto-install... wherever they're downloaded to?

I therefore assume they were Windows Updates? 

I also assume you installed [some of] the updates you'd downloaded, which is why they started auto-installing when you shut down the laptop?

I figure that somewhere along the line, I should've directed those files to the Windows TEMP folder in the Program Files folder, right?

There's actually a 'Downloads' folder in C:\Users\your username\, which you should probably use for future downloads/updates.

At least then you'll know where they all are :emotion-5:

2 Posts

January 21st, 2010 08:00

Ooh, yeah, I really should have been more explicit; sorry about that.

I was referring to downloads I found by going to support.dell.com, clicking through to drivers & downloads, and punching in my product key. Then I just downloaded everything on the list that came up. I kind of assumed the .exe files would download to Windows TEMP and autolaunch from there, because that's what I've become accustomed to from other company's updates.

So, I just run the files from My Documents, then delete them? Can do!

Thank you!

No Events found!