Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 13th, 2012 09:00

my inspiron 1555 won't boot goes to blank screen with a blinking cursor(only have smartphone it wont type in word program)

:emotion-18:

1.1K Posts

November 16th, 2012 23:00

Hi yell0wcat,

It appears to be an issue with the hard drive. I will recommend you to check this hard drive in any other system. Alternatively, you may try this system with any other hard drive. Please let me know if your system is still under warranty.

Please reply for any further questions.

November 19th, 2012 20:00

Hi Yellowcat,

I am following up on this issue on behalf of Dell_Vikram_M. Just wanted to check if you could get the issue resolved. You can enter the system service tag on the link below to check the warranty details of the system.
http://dell.to/Mbe3zg 

Please reply if you have any further questions.

1.1K Posts

November 13th, 2012 20:00

Hi yell0wcat,

I believe your system is Studio 1555 laptop. I will recommend you to run the diagnostics on your system to check the hardware functionality:

• Restart the system and keep tapping 'F12' as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  • Highlight 'Diagnostics' using up and down arrow keys and press enter.

Please let me know if you get any error code/message.

In case the diagnostics pass, check the system's performance in 'Safe Mode with Networking':

• Restart your system and keep tapping 'F8' as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  • Highlight 'Safe Mode with Networking' using up and down arrow keys and press enter.
  • Check if the system works fine in 'Safe Mode with Networking'.

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

1 Message

November 13th, 2012 21:00

I have the same issue with my Dell XPS L702X.  I did the diagnostics as you have suggested and everything pass.  I try to use the F8 function but it does not work, the screen comes out blank with the blinking cursor.  What do you suggest?

1.1K Posts

November 14th, 2012 00:00

Hi Snowyy2k,

Drain the flea power and try to get to 'F8' menu:

• Disconnect all the external peripherals.
  • Unplug AC Adapter and also take off the battery.
  • Press and hold the power button for 10 to 15 seconds.
  • Connect the AC Adapter back, restart the system and keep tapping 'F8' as soon as the Dell logo appears.

If the system is able to get to 'F8' menu, you may perform PC restore which will take your system back to its factory settings:

Note: PC restore will lead to data (pictures, documents, programs, music) loss. Please perform a data backup prior to this step. Please disconnect any external peripherals (printer, scanner or any USB device) as well.

1. Restart PC; keep tapping 'F8' as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  2. Advanced Boot Options menu appears, ‘Repair your Computer' is highlighted, press Enter. (Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice).
  3. Windows is loading files screen appears. Wait for it to load.
  4. 'System Recovery Options' prompt appears. Specify the language and keyboard input that you want, and then click ‘Next’.
  5. Log in as a user who has administrative credentials; select the username from the drop-down list, type the password and click OK.
  6. 'Choose a Recovery Tool Window' appears, select 'Dell Data Safe Restore and Emergency Backup'.
  7. The Welcome screen will show 2 options; 'Restore computer and preserve my new or changed files' and 'Select other System Backup and more options'. Select the second option (Select other System Backup and more options) and click 'Next'.
  8. The next window shows these options; 'Backup Files and folders' and 'Restore my computer'. Select ‘Restore my computer’.
  9. Select the 'Factory Image' and click ‘Next’.
  10. The next window shows 2 options; 'Preserve new or changed files before restoring to selected System Backup' and 'Restore without preserving new or changed files'. Select the second option (Restore without preserving new or changed files) and click 'Next'.
  11. A prompt appears stating that your computer is about to be restored all data currently on your computer will be deleted and replaced with your selected Full System Backup. If an Emergency File & Folder Backup was created, it will still be saved in the location you selected. Click 'Yes, continue' and click 'Next'.
  12. PC restore will initiate. Once done, click 'Restart'.
  13. Follow the onscreen instructions to create a user account.

In case this does not work, we will need to re install the operating system. Please let me know if you have windows re installation disk.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and the system owner's name so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Keep me updated. Please reply for any further questions.

6 Posts

November 15th, 2012 07:00

I have tried to friend you vikram M but this smartphone will not work in the Word program that this forum uses you can e-mail me if you like and communicate that way if you think that I am mistaken about the hard drive failure...thank you for responding

6 Posts

November 15th, 2012 07:00

I have decided that the hard drive has gone bad...the diagnosti,s does not do any thing. The F8 option does not work at all..when I went to F2 setup the hdd drive is not recognized .it just says [ 10GB].but the hard drive is a western digital 320gb.it sees my DVD drive .the hdd is not spinning:-(

1.1K Posts

November 16th, 2012 01:00

Hi yell0wcat,

Thank you for the reply. The BIOS should with show hard drive as 'None' or it should show 320 GB hard drive. I will recommend you to re seat the hard drive. Remove the Base Cover first: http://dell.to/TRMY3p Once done, re seat the hard drive: http://dell.to/WdwJlw 

Once the hard drive is re seated, check the status of the hard drive in BIOS again:

• Restart your system and keep tapping 'F2' as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  • Go to 'Main' and let me know what exactly is listed across 'Fixed HDD' as shown in the image:
Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

6 Posts

November 16th, 2012 05:00

I have reseated the hdd there its no change in the bios >fixed hdd    [10GB]

6 Posts

November 17th, 2012 11:00

I dont beleive it is still under warranty I bought it summer of 09. I was just trying to troubleshoot the problem and I thank you for your help. I will have to take the hard drive to someone to check out. I don't have another computer to test with.thanks again

6 Posts

November 21st, 2012 07:00

thanks for your help I installed a new hard drive and installed winows 7 . Everything is up and running again

No Events found!