Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 04-15-2016 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

nVidia Geforce GT 650M NOT DETECTED on Inspiron 17R SE 7720 after BIOS A11 Update

Hi everyone,

A week ago I did some updating on my Inspiron 17R SE 7720 including Bios update to the A11 version. Unfortunately after this update I realized that the nVidia Geforce GT 650M graphics card was gone from my system.

I read other posts and people that have come across this issue suggested that re-installing the bios would fix the problem, however in my case it did not.

Also I have installed the newly released BIOS A12 and A13 versions but non of these have fixed this issue.

Also re-installing windows does not either fix this as suggested by others in other posts.

I have also run the computer diagnostics from the bios and the card does not show up there either, is like if the nVidia Geforce GT 650M graphics card was not installed on the system.

Lastly I have run a version of Ubuntu on my Inspiron 17R SE 7720 and run a system check and neither the card is detected, just the Intel HD Graphics 4000 is detected on windows or linux.

Please someone from dell help us fix this issue, as it is definitely a BIOS PROBLEM.

If you are one of the unlucky ones like me that saw disappeared the nVidia Geforce GT 650M graphics card from your system, please share your experience with me.

Thanks for your responses.

--------------------------edited on 22/10/2013 by me (luiavag)------------------------------

After 7 exact months of supplition since I started this discussion Dell has finally done it.

Bios A16 addresses and fixed this isue.

Link to Official Inspiron 7720 System BIOS A16:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/uk/en/ukbsdt1/DriverDetails/Product/inspiron-17r-se-7720?driverI...

Finally, we can get back to gaming!

LOL

Replies (565)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait... So Terry's now telling us, that WAS supposed to be the fix? I was holding off on installing A15, because I really didn't think that was it! Why? Well as adamkm has said, it doesn't even mention anything about this particular issue...

"Fixes - Not Applicable. Enhancements - Added support for new ePSA tool. - Enhanced System Sku support in Windows 8."

Fixes, Not Applicable? Oh a fix is very applicable and very much needed here!

ADAMKM, I strongly advise you DON'T upgrade to A15 if you haven't! If your card is working FEEL VERY LUCKY, and don't mess with it! My Nvidia card worked fine since the day I bought this machine, up until the day I upgraded the BIOS :(

lspci output on Ubuntu Linux, or Mac OSX reveals no other VGA line except the intel one... So it's as if, it doesn't even exist! (ex. "lspci -v | grep VGA")

What about this new ePSA tool? Can we at least have a link to that tool, maybe that can help figure out the problem? It's obviously something changed in the BIOS code which wasn't there before! Perhaps open source the damn thing if you guys can't fix it, and let the community have a go at it!

I even tried uninstalling the intel HD card again, and re-install both, but again nvidia can't detect the card...

Remember I said have faith? Well if that was the update to fix the issue, then I've lost all faith as well :( I wouldn't be so mad, if the thing said, Fixes: Nvidia GPU fix and still didn't work, at least then I would know someone over there is trying. Just going by Terry's word isn't enough, The next BIOS release better at least mention it! Or I'm going to be extra mad, that no one is even acknowledging the issue besides Terry (who is just support, not a programmer, he can't help fix it as much as he'd like to, so an official comment about it even in the BIOS release section would at least be acknowledging it! I have yet to see any acknowledgement from anyone besides Terry)

So thanks Terry for at least trying to be helpful, but tell those <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> programmers if they need a hand at helping fix the issue I'd be glad to take a stab at it! I'm a coder, though I haven't had experience with really low level stuff such as BIOS, but I do know ASM and C++, so that's pretty low level.

Hoping for the best, one day this issue will be resolved! Until then though, look at all the people you've angered!

Right now I'm trying to hack the nvidia installer, to force it to install anyway regardless of if it 'finds' the nvidia card on your system. Even if I can get it to install, there's no telling that it will work, but it's worth a shot! Wish me luck! OllyDBG reverse engineering to the rescue! (hopefully lol) 

2 Jasper
2 Jasper

Yeah Steve337 i wont be installing the update. I don't feel especially lucky to be honest, as soon as it arrived from dell it had this issue. I've had 2 motherboard/GPU swap outs by their engineers already. As soon as it breaks again, which i have no doubt is just a matter of time, i will be claiming a new motherboard AGAIN at the drop of a hat, no messing around. Im kinda "lucky" in that i have another 10 months of warranty left for this. I also bought it on credit card so all else failing, or if they fail to rectify i can do a charge back through barclaycard. After all thats the beauty of credit cards :)

2 Jasper
2 Jasper

Doesn't warrenty extends on the changed parts? As in tomorrow would end the warranty and you get a new motherboard totday and it breaks down again in 3 days, you still have warranty on the changed part right?

I don't know how long the extension would be, but if i got a new mainboard i expect it to work for at least another year.

2 Jasper
2 Jasper

Yep it does indeed. I used to have a DELL XPS 1710 and that had is 7950gtx  graphics card replaced after 6 months. That engineer told me the new GFX had a years warranty.

2 Jasper
2 Jasper

Although after saying that, i cant actually find ANY information on the internet about the warranty on replacement parts. So it's a little dubious to be honest how/if they will act if you need to use that service.

4 Tellurium

Extracted from Dell Warranties T&C's

We use new and refurbished parts made by various manufacturers in performing warranty repairs and in building replacement parts and products. Refurbished parts and products are parts or products that have been returned to Dell, some of which were never used by a customer. All parts and products are inspected and tested for quality. Replacement parts and products are covered for the remaining period of the limited hardware warranty for the product you purchased. Dell owns all parts removed from repaired products and, in most instances, you will be required to return defective parts to Dell.

Robin

3 Silver

Varies dependant on your location but this is extract from Dell UK Warranty (found in Terms and Conditions)

5.6 Dell will repair Dell Product using parts which are new, or equivalent to new in accordance with industry standards and practice, and which will work for at least the remainder of the Basic Warranty period.

... If only Carlsberg made laptops

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have just had the engineer round he replaced the mainboard and GPU the bios is A14 all working so far.

2 Jasper
2 Jasper

"Pff, who wants to run on an old bios like that..."

Just update to A15 and get the engineer on speeddail :P.

I just feel bad for all the people that in the oncoming years might want to update the bios and not knowing about this issue and go from 'hero to zero' -laptop in under 10 seconds :(..

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

"Pff, who wants to run on an old bios like that..."

Just update to A15 and get the engineer on speeddail :P.

I just feel bad for all the people that in the oncoming years might want to update the bios and not knowing about this issue and go from 'hero to zero' -laptop in under 10 seconds :(..

Thunder, you hit the nail on the head; I'm honestly glad you said this because they are important points to make. Who the hell wants to have to get a motherboard replacement every time there is a BIOS update and you want the updated BIOS, risk it and your graphics card disappears?

If this is genuinely a problem that can not be fixed, there should be a recall and a subsequent refund for people who already purchased it (that should extend to people who voided their warranty or had their warranty run out); there is no reputable harm in doing this in my eyes. Acting like something isn't a problem is what aggravates me, admitting a mistake is honorable, right, and highly respectful in my eyes; each and everyone have plenty of skeletons in the closet, you know? You learn very little in life without openly recognizing faults. It may appear to be bad business to recall, but I think a bad reputation is worse for business. How much money has been wasted with the number of replaced motherboards and technician appointments, you know? Hindsight is always easier, but it's still important to recognize. How much money is lost when the majority of us stop buying Dell products; at least with a recall you greatly increase the possibility we will stick around.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor