Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 04-15-2016 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

nVidia Geforce GT 650M NOT DETECTED on Inspiron 17R SE 7720 after BIOS A11 Update

Hi everyone,

A week ago I did some updating on my Inspiron 17R SE 7720 including Bios update to the A11 version. Unfortunately after this update I realized that the nVidia Geforce GT 650M graphics card was gone from my system.

I read other posts and people that have come across this issue suggested that re-installing the bios would fix the problem, however in my case it did not.

Also I have installed the newly released BIOS A12 and A13 versions but non of these have fixed this issue.

Also re-installing windows does not either fix this as suggested by others in other posts.

I have also run the computer diagnostics from the bios and the card does not show up there either, is like if the nVidia Geforce GT 650M graphics card was not installed on the system.

Lastly I have run a version of Ubuntu on my Inspiron 17R SE 7720 and run a system check and neither the card is detected, just the Intel HD Graphics 4000 is detected on windows or linux.

Please someone from dell help us fix this issue, as it is definitely a BIOS PROBLEM.

If you are one of the unlucky ones like me that saw disappeared the nVidia Geforce GT 650M graphics card from your system, please share your experience with me.

Thanks for your responses.

--------------------------edited on 22/10/2013 by me (luiavag)------------------------------

After 7 exact months of supplition since I started this discussion Dell has finally done it.

Bios A16 addresses and fixed this isue.

Link to Official Inspiron 7720 System BIOS A16:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/uk/en/ukbsdt1/DriverDetails/Product/inspiron-17r-se-7720?driverI...

Finally, we can get back to gaming!

LOL

Replies (565)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have this same issue on my  laptop.

I bought this laptop 2 days ago...and ..install all needed software and also update BIOS to A15. I'm not sure that previously i have Nvidia in my Device Manager, but now I can't see it :/

Can I try downgrade BIOS version to previous one ? Is it save to try ? 

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I'm having a different issue about the gpu: I have this widget on my desktop indicating my gpu temperature. It typically says 40-80°C, depending on what I'm doing (browsing the web or gaming). When I browse the web however, after half an hour my screen flashes and the gpu indicator says 0°C.

Essentially, I'm only able to use the Intel HD 4000, not the nVidia gpu, unless I reboot the laptop. I can't seem to find any BIOS updates on the web for this laptop, or am I just blind?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

if i were u id return it and get something that doesnt have all these problems

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

^^ That's exactly the same problem which I am having. Upon startup the system seems just fine. After a completely random amount of time, though, it loses its recognition of the 650M. With a restart, things go back to as normal as they can be... until it happens again. The most I've seen this happen in an 8-hour work day was 4 times thus far. I don't yet see any pattern of events which causes it to happen. Sometimes it takes longer than others, and sometimes I'm not doing anything with the system at all (completely idle). I'd really love to have an official response to and explanation of this problem. My hope for a fix and full stability out of this system is fading very quickly.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

*sigh*

Clean reformat and reinstall of Windows 7 Ultimate with all Dell drivers. I get everything back to the way I want it, and I decide to start up a plain ol' .avi movie file. Within 2 minutes, the graphics card drops out again. I am quickly reaching my breaking point with this system, and I can put up with a LOT.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Yup that's what someone from DELL advised me to do after I sent them an e-mail regarding the issue. Glad I didn't do it ^^

Anyway, the only fix will probably be a replacement of the entire motherboard, sadly. Thanks for taking your time and writing your part of the story here, Axelay :)

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

^ Yeah, but I no longer believe that since mine's been replaced twice already.

I'm expecting another call from Dell on Tuesday and I intend to ask at what point do they determine that this machine is defective and they offer me another option. This is just unacceptable. I've been buying Dell laptops for almost 10 years now and I've never had a problem with a single one of them until this one.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

The first one of us that successfully gets Dell to swap out this machine for a different model needs to document it happening as much as humanly possible and then upload scans of receipts, pictures, emails, whatever to dropbox or something. Then post a link here to that location to the rest of us, so that we can contact the Dell person who has the authority to do that and have them do it for the rest of us. If one of us successfully gets our machine 'recalled' and then just disappears from the board we've accomplished nothing. We have to work together and help each other here!

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hy, i have the same dreaded inspiron with gt650m gpu, and the same problem. saturday i updated the bios, and graphics card dissapeared. since the i flashed the bios with older one, reinstalled windows, linux, nothing helps. the diagnostics in boot say my computer is just fine, but..... i think this computer is the first and last bought from dell, and what bothers me most, is that they don't test the  <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> they put out, just design and sell as fast as they can, and let the users deal with it. i say we make a petition to the consumer board(probably), i'm from romania, here we have the office for the consumer protection, all of us who have this problem, and force them to take action. i'm not really in the mood to throw away 250 bucks every 3 months, or stall work because of a poorly made 1200 dollar laptop.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

You have some great questions there Nelson! I'm sure others would like to know the answers to those questions as well, myself included... Until someone figures out what exactly has gone wrong here though, it's all just merely speculation.

I disagree however that it is 100% for sure a hardware problem, although it could be, or a combination of both hardware + BIOS/UEFI/Software... I believe strongly that it is to do with BIOS/UEFI as I will explain further below. You have experienced melting components? I don't believe any of my internal components have ever melted. (I haven't had dell replace the mobo yet, been waiting on the a16 BIOS/UEFI as I've been confident that's the fix if it will ever just come out already, going to change my mind if it doesn't come out soon)

I also don't feel the motherboard has an 'inability' to handle the graphics card... Are you sure you have adequate ventilation and airflow? As I have used my rig for months upon months of glorious full experience gaming at fairly high settings in most games I played. Gaming like I've never experienced before on my own PC, as I've always had poor graphics cards always before and mostly lower end CPU's which couldn't at least try to make up for the lack of a good GPU. So thanks for giving me that! I'm just a little sad that it was a bit short lived lol... Although with updated intel hd 4000 drivers and the Core i7 making up for the lack of the nvidia card a bit, I've been playing Saints Row IV with an acceptable level of performance, but yes nothing quite like before where it was AMAZING! Now all I can say it's its acceptable performance lol, I feel like I traded in my PC for an x360 ;( (sad I know, but unlike you others my nvidia doesn't come up at all, so be glad you can at least play for a little while, and as someone suggested maybe try always running and putting that intel turbo boost technology application/something else to be used by the GPU at all times, it just may keep it from disappearing as one user has experienced, even though its a bit of a workaround and admittedly shouldn't be required.)

With that being said, the reason I believe it's a BIOS/UEFI problem is because of the above, and because of this. As said above EVERYTHING worked great for months upon months, and it was a beautiful thing! Like I said above and I must stress, I enjoyed games like never before, until one day! NOPE, the gpu didn't disappear... Instead what happened was this, UEFI is new for PC's yes? (although I think macs have been using a form of UEFI/EFI for some time) And Windows 8 (claims at least) requires that it's booted from UEFI rather than a standard old BIOS and that you're hard drive be partitioned as GPT rather than MBR (which I can understand why they made this change as it makes things nicer and hard drives can be swapped out independently without screwing up dual/triple/however many now boots, being able to have more than 4 primary partitions(logical partitions are done away with every partition is now a primary partition), having a larger than 2TB hard drive, etc.. I wont go into further detail research it if you want.

The point is my computer's UEFI screwed up somehow... One day I woke up and my computer was asleep/hibernating as it was configured to do so after so long of inactivity... When I tried to wake it up however it didn't wake up and all I saw was a black screen... Even after waiting a while it didn't come up, so I was like hmmm well I know sometimes computers get stuck in hibernate/sleep and can't come back though I never experienced it with this laptop ever before, I have with previous computers, so I wrote it off as that being the case and force-ably shut down the computer by holding the power button for a few seconds. Then I turned it on by pressing the power button briefly and waited for it to start up... However unlike usually after the dell screen (where you have options to go into setup/bios (F2 i think) or bootmenu (F12) [though it's worth noting that those never worked for me which I will explain shortly, and just thought that was part of the new UEFI thing {wrongly I should add}] It went to a black screen and that's it, and I could hear the fan blowing at full speed I think. Very distraught I thought my rig was done for and something bad had happened, but didn't know what... After powering it off (just pressing the power button would turn it off in this state [not having to hold it]) and coming to the same black screen many times I didn't know what to do especially since I could not even get into the BIOS setup or boot menu (which those f2 or f12 keys NEVER worked for me since the day that I got the laptop, but it always just booted into Windows 8 with no issues and I thought wrongly that it was a feature of UEFI to not let you into setup or bootmenu for some reason)[I didn't know UEFI was new to me]. However being the fix it yourself kinda guy that I am, I didn't immediately turn to dell, and opted to research the problem from another computer. As you can probably tell searching for a black screen problem on a dell laptop is no walk in the park, and I found many things which weren't my issue. I did realize that the laptop was using something new to me though UEFI as I have mentioned it many times above already lol... So on the second day I tried something I didn't think to do before somehow on the first day (Think I was just a bit freaked out that I only could see a black screen on it the first day) I inserted a USB before powering on and to my surprise it showed some text on the screen rather than just a black screen!!! "Operation System Not Found!" which told me one thing it was trying to actually boot something from a USB STICK! :) (luckily USB devices were set to boot above anything else :) [I'm unsure if I made that change to the BIOS/UEFI setup or it was like that by default...Even though the f2/f12 keys didn't work upon boot I was still able to get into BIOS setup when Windows 8 previously worked by booting to Windows 8 first, then choosing a special option to reboot with advanced configuration, then choosing BIOS setup upon reboot, silly way to get to your BIOS I know...)

So what did I do? Of course loaded my favorite live distro of Linux onto that USB from another computer, and Tada! It booted up fine from a USB and I messed around with Linux the rest of that day, in joy that okay my laptop isn't actually screwed up and everything (yes EVERYTHING) still worked, it was just the UEFI/BIOS/combination of both screwed up somehow... The next day (this is the 3rd day now) I played around with another USB stick trying to get my Windows 8 on my hard drive, to boot up from a Windows Boot Manager installed onto it (the USB stick) As per this page that I just found again and remember helped me to do this:(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766223(v=ws.10).aspx) I followed it's advice of: "For EFI systems, confirm the value or set path to \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\Bootmgfw.efi" when I was at that step, then when I got to this point for the 'Windows Boot Loader' (to actually load my Windows 8), after already setting up the 'Windows Boot Manager' where it said something similar: "For EFI-based computers, confirm or set the value of the path to the Windows Boot Loader for EFI: \Windows\System32\Winload.efi." I tried that, and it didn't work... After messing around with it a bit more and still not having any results, I tried going against what it said and changing "Winload.efi" instead into "Winload.exe" as you were only supposed to do for old systems, but since I didn't believe the USB was actually booting with UEFI but with legacy boot support(as its now called lol) I thought it was worth a shot!

Sure enough when I booted with my custom made Windows Boot Manager USB stick I saw a different screen than usually. (saw a windows logo with the spinning circles under it, rather than what I was used to seeing, the dell logo with spinning circles under it) After it booted up I was back in my Windows 8 and the first thing I did, believe me is PLAY A GAME!! Resident Evil 6 I believe I was playing at the time and I loaded that up, and EVEN after all that THE NVIDIA CARD STILL WORKED! AND BEAUTIFULLY! (mind you I still haven't updated my bios at this point, and I've just discovered my only way to boot my Windows 8 is with a USB stick LOL) I played for hours and completed Ada Wong's story even and played some other games too! So I had it in this state for like a day or two, just enjoying my computer back, and eventually I decided, it sucks having to boot Windows from a USB stick everytime (even though Windows it self was actually on the hard drive and the USB was just my way of getting to it), and I can't keep my computer like this... I decided since I'm not able to even use the F2 or F12 keys at boot time no matter how fast I try to press them how many times I press them, etc... I thought that the BIOS is definitely my problem, so I went to the dell website to see if a new BIOS was available and to install it, maybe it'll fix my problem! BIG MISTAKE! Should've just kept booting from USB would've been better OFF! Seriously LOL!

So sure enough there was a new BIOS here, many new ones since the one I had installed initially, don't even remember now what version it was... So like a fool I went ahead and downloaded it and installed I believe it was the A14 BIOS... After booting from a USB then installing the newer A14 BIOS, when the computer came back up I unplugged the USB and sure enough I was happy (very briefly) as it did actually fix THAT issue... I could now press F2 or F12 to get to either the BIOS or the bootmenu, as it should work! I realized then that I had been using a screwed up BIOS that those keys should have worked for me, but they never did before, and now that it was fixed everything should be great and yes it even fixed the bootup... Without even messing with the bootloader on my actual machine's hard drive (well actually I did but could never get it to trigger the hard drives bootloader before like it did from USB) It booted Windows 8 fine once again all on its own no specially crafted USB stick required...

To my shock though, when I did try to play a game again... I noticed something strange this time... Things were, slower, much slower and choppier, than usually (I had my settings on high remember) So I was like hmm... I restarted the game, same thing... Wait is this game even using the Nvidia card? Tried another game, came back to it, same result. I then looked at my Nvidia control panel which I previously sometimes had to force-ably set games to take advantage of the Nvidia card as not all games (although most) would actually decide to use the better GPU. To my surprise it now said, "No suitable graphics hardware detected" or something along those lines! WAIT WHAT? What do you mean? I was literally JUST using it, before I updated the BIOS, and fixed that one problem but now apparently created a new one!! Tried updating the graphics card with dell drivers or even ones from the website.. Always it always failed, saying it couldn't find my nvidia graphics card! Before I uninstalled it, the Nvidia card was still listed in the device manager, but no matter what I tried it always said this error code and I remember it clear as day: "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)" It was telling me that the Nvidia card just decided to pack up at leave, as is obviously not the case, as it's still in there of course!

So the point is, although it seems like a logical conclusion, overheating and "melting" of components is clearly not the issue here, at least not for me... I always have proper ventilation for my computer, and even have it elevated so the vents (even on the bottom) aren't blocked [the bottom vent on this computer is especially important as it sucks air in, and the left one blows air out.] and have never had problems! It also seems funny that after updating the BIOS/UEFI then is when it just disappeared for me NEVER to re-appear. I've tried all the tricks people posted on here, that taking the battery out trick holding the power button, etc never did anything for me...

So this is where I'm at now... I would trade it back for the screwed up BIOS/UEFI having to boot from USB, because at least then my Nvidia GPU still worked!

I wait patiently for the A16 BIOS and can only hope that it actually will come! Common Dell engineers, a BIOS update broke my computer, so a BIOS update can fix it! If you can just figure out what changed, what was different in newer BIOS/UEFI that caused the nvidia card to go missing? I know UEFI is new to all of us, and we just happen to be the guinea pigs testing out the newest of the newest hardware and operating system, but there's gotta be something that can tell us what went wrong... Is it not even something in the BIOS, but perhaps the BIOS flasher utility that could of screwed something up?

Well this computer has brought me much joy for many months and I am thankful for that, so because of that I'm still having faith, that you can restore my happiness and bring it back to life once again! Any Dell engineers if you're reading this, keep at it! You can pull off the impossible and figure out whats wrong and fix it! The future of computing depends on it as we can't have these unfigure-out-able issues coming up in other future hardware as well and it will if we don't get this sorted out now! 

So this is Steve, saying I haven't given up yet! So don't forget about me! :D

I will GAME AGAIN! And Just As Amazingly As Before! :D

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor