Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 04-15-2016 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

nVidia Geforce GT 650M NOT DETECTED on Inspiron 17R SE 7720 after BIOS A11 Update

Hi everyone,

A week ago I did some updating on my Inspiron 17R SE 7720 including Bios update to the A11 version. Unfortunately after this update I realized that the nVidia Geforce GT 650M graphics card was gone from my system.

I read other posts and people that have come across this issue suggested that re-installing the bios would fix the problem, however in my case it did not.

Also I have installed the newly released BIOS A12 and A13 versions but non of these have fixed this issue.

Also re-installing windows does not either fix this as suggested by others in other posts.

I have also run the computer diagnostics from the bios and the card does not show up there either, is like if the nVidia Geforce GT 650M graphics card was not installed on the system.

Lastly I have run a version of Ubuntu on my Inspiron 17R SE 7720 and run a system check and neither the card is detected, just the Intel HD Graphics 4000 is detected on windows or linux.

Please someone from dell help us fix this issue, as it is definitely a BIOS PROBLEM.

If you are one of the unlucky ones like me that saw disappeared the nVidia Geforce GT 650M graphics card from your system, please share your experience with me.

Thanks for your responses.

--------------------------edited on 22/10/2013 by me (luiavag)------------------------------

After 7 exact months of supplition since I started this discussion Dell has finally done it.

Bios A16 addresses and fixed this isue.

Link to Official Inspiron 7720 System BIOS A16:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/uk/en/ukbsdt1/DriverDetails/Product/inspiron-17r-se-7720?driverI...

Finally, we can get back to gaming!

LOL

Replies (565)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Nice post mate:)

I still have faith too. Cheers

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

oh my this is the same problem i am having on my inspiron 3421! Though i never used the nVidia driver i do see it listed on my driver page but it gives the error not able to find hardware, only intel hd 3000 listed! I did update my bios but it seems its just not there... 

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part saying the motherboard 'can't handle' the nVidia card. I do believe that there is a hardware problem though, centered around the nVidia card. I also still believe that it has to do with the nVidia card overheating. Several people have been using temperature monitoring software and reported that even at 'idle' the graphic card seems to run hot. nVidia cards seem to have problems not only on other Dell laptops, but if you search online you'll see similar problems with some HP products. Someone posted a message earlier that involved someone's temporary solution that involved baking the motherboard and card! The overheating can lead to catastrophic motherboard failure. That's what happened to me twice, confirmed by the techs. I unfortunately have stopped anything that taxes the graphics card like any current games. After two motherboard replacements, I am scared that Dell won't replace it again if this one fails also. Very sad that I paid this much for a system that I have to baby and treat like it's something very fragile. I make sure the vents are never blocked. I don't use a cooling pad. I had always read that those were a scam, and I shouldn't have to run three fans underneath the laptop that I buy seperately. It should be able to keep itself cool enough that it doesn't destroy itself!

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

i have done everything and went through every single comment on this post none of it worked!!! please release a16 bios and lets hope it will work

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I spoke yesterday with the technician from Dell who is trying to help me solve this problem with my machine. He again indicated that Dell has not heard of this problem happening before, so I referred him to this thread. He did find it and indicated that all of this information would be reviewed and that they would contact me back in another two days so that we could continue to try to figure out what to do next.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Quick update: I've had 2 follow-up phone calls with the same technician who has been trying to get me some help with this laptop. (The same one to whom I referred this thread.) On both occasions, he's informed me that my case has been escalated and that he is awaiting an official response from Dell hardware support. I'm expecting the next call on 9/30. In the time which has passed since I first called and starting posting here, the laptop has now taken to dropping its GPU at least 3-4 times per day. Rebooting always brings it back, but I'm really becoming tired of having to do this so often.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Yes, I have the same problem. I never know when it will disappear, but a reboot will bring it back. It doesn't happen to me as often as you have, Axelay, but is discouraging to hear that the condition may worsen over time. It sounds like it never used to be 3-4 times a day, but now it is.

With the amount of people that are having this problem, it is hard to believe that people can still call Dell, and they can be told by the person answering that they are unfamiliar with the problem. It almost appears like a cover-up.Thanks to everyone who is keeping us informed about thier communications with Dell.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

As I use this laptop a lot for gaming, it tends to get quite hot. But since it became so hot, +80°C, I thought some dust on the fan was keeping the air from flowing well. I opened it up (removed battery, maintenance hatch, optical drive, keyboard, and the top panel, along with all the screw I encountered).

I removed the fan and this is what I saw:

Since I did this yesterday, I also updated my driver, and the GPU hasn't failed on me yet (it's been 30 hours since I removed the dust).

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

photo was removed :/

could you re-upload it?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor