Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 04-15-2016 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

nVidia Geforce GT 650M NOT DETECTED on Inspiron 17R SE 7720 after BIOS A11 Update

Hi everyone,

A week ago I did some updating on my Inspiron 17R SE 7720 including Bios update to the A11 version. Unfortunately after this update I realized that the nVidia Geforce GT 650M graphics card was gone from my system.

I read other posts and people that have come across this issue suggested that re-installing the bios would fix the problem, however in my case it did not.

Also I have installed the newly released BIOS A12 and A13 versions but non of these have fixed this issue.

Also re-installing windows does not either fix this as suggested by others in other posts.

I have also run the computer diagnostics from the bios and the card does not show up there either, is like if the nVidia Geforce GT 650M graphics card was not installed on the system.

Lastly I have run a version of Ubuntu on my Inspiron 17R SE 7720 and run a system check and neither the card is detected, just the Intel HD Graphics 4000 is detected on windows or linux.

Please someone from dell help us fix this issue, as it is definitely a BIOS PROBLEM.

If you are one of the unlucky ones like me that saw disappeared the nVidia Geforce GT 650M graphics card from your system, please share your experience with me.

Thanks for your responses.

--------------------------edited on 22/10/2013 by me (luiavag)------------------------------

After 7 exact months of supplition since I started this discussion Dell has finally done it.

Bios A16 addresses and fixed this isue.

Link to Official Inspiron 7720 System BIOS A16:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/uk/en/ukbsdt1/DriverDetails/Product/inspiron-17r-se-7720?driverI...

Finally, we can get back to gaming!

LOL

Replies (565)
2 Jasper
2 Jasper

Well, i would call that the final straw... just 'RTS' the whole laptop and claim the paid price and get something else.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I remember a Toshiba laptop I bought several years back. I actually got some money back on it several months later because of a class action lawsuit. A vulnerability was found in the way it handled information, something that it was not secure enough, and Toshiba had to pay out a settlement to everyone who owned the laptop (it may have had to have been still under warranty). I don't know if this situation with Dell resembles anything similar to that. All it takes is one lawyer who subscribes to this post to threaten something, and then maybe Dell will act quicker to fix this thing. This has been going on too long and it almost appear to be stalling while the warranties run out.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

my warranty has ran out an i got the laptop from America (i am in the UK) so i am screwed 

3 Silver

My exchange machine worked well for a while, but, Windows does now randomly boot out the GT650M - which requires a reboot of the system to get the GT650M back recognised by Windows.

What on earth are you playing at DELL????

A16 is supposed to solve the GT650M issue, months ago we were promised the A15 was supposed to fix the GT650M issue but then it wasn't.

People have been deceived into waiting all these months to get their NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE Inspiron 17R 'Special Edition' fixed with a BIOS bodge. 

DELL, it really looks like your engineering department have a)not actually been working on this at all or b)they do not have a clue what they are doing or c)both.

DELL, it really is time you got your backsides in gear and address this issue here and now.

... If only Carlsberg made laptops

3 Silver

Please have a look here, the page has almost 6000 hits

... If only Carlsberg made laptops

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Wow. Thanks for referring me to that. This is definitely not a small problem or isolated incident. When next I speak with the person managing my case, I intend to let him know that I want a refund so that I can get another model. I am just not willing to put up with any further erratic behavior from this machine. It's supposed to be my primary work machine, and I cannot rely upon it. I'm so glad that I kept all of the packaging material and documentation. Should be an interesting conversation next week. I'll report on what happens.

Since installing BIOS A16, I had one day in which I didn't see the graphics card drop out. As of today, I'm now up to 4 restarts in less than 8 hours, and I'm not even doing anything super stressful to the graphics card. Some basic web browsing, some split screening to an LCD projector, and some webmail-based email communication. Absolutely nothing which should be any kind of problem for this machine.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

A *temporary* solution is executing a program with the gpu (just right-click a program, and execute it with the gpu).

I do this with RuneScape (yes I still sometimes play it) and it just stays at the login screen so it barely uses any memory or cpu power.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

mvbe is right.. well at least for my laptop.. something needs to be always present on the "nvidia gpu activity list" or it drops.

Well maybe at least with A16 peeople that had lost their gpu completly can have it back (as claimed by the original poster of this tread).

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

i don't know about you guys, but this "let's give it to the customer to test our stuff" policy is really lazy. dell should have 50 machines ready to run  tests on, not use they're clients as guinea pigs, come on , i know this is a "media rig", but some of us use these laptops for actual work, and we don't have time to test stuff unpaid for the unrespectfull mf-s. sorry, but this is the last piece of junk i buy from them. 

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Axelay I'm sorry but the test of one users machine does not determine if it won't work for anyone else!!! Please give me the bios! Email it to me on here our upload it somewhere please... Does it even say A16 in the bios? Pictures or it didn't happen... Sorry to seem harsh but you can't really believe that the Fate of everyones computing experience depended upon if you think it didn't "work" for you...You are lucky that your nvidia card even shows up at all  works use the damn work around keeping a game or something running to keep it alive!! Let someone with no nvidia gfx card at all give it a try as another user suggested as well!!

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor