Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 04-15-2016 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

nVidia Geforce GT 650M NOT DETECTED on Inspiron 17R SE 7720 after BIOS A11 Update

Hi everyone,

A week ago I did some updating on my Inspiron 17R SE 7720 including Bios update to the A11 version. Unfortunately after this update I realized that the nVidia Geforce GT 650M graphics card was gone from my system.

I read other posts and people that have come across this issue suggested that re-installing the bios would fix the problem, however in my case it did not.

Also I have installed the newly released BIOS A12 and A13 versions but non of these have fixed this issue.

Also re-installing windows does not either fix this as suggested by others in other posts.

I have also run the computer diagnostics from the bios and the card does not show up there either, is like if the nVidia Geforce GT 650M graphics card was not installed on the system.

Lastly I have run a version of Ubuntu on my Inspiron 17R SE 7720 and run a system check and neither the card is detected, just the Intel HD Graphics 4000 is detected on windows or linux.

Please someone from dell help us fix this issue, as it is definitely a BIOS PROBLEM.

If you are one of the unlucky ones like me that saw disappeared the nVidia Geforce GT 650M graphics card from your system, please share your experience with me.

Thanks for your responses.

--------------------------edited on 22/10/2013 by me (luiavag)------------------------------

After 7 exact months of supplition since I started this discussion Dell has finally done it.

Bios A16 addresses and fixed this isue.

Link to Official Inspiron 7720 System BIOS A16:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/uk/en/ukbsdt1/DriverDetails/Product/inspiron-17r-se-7720?driverI...

Finally, we can get back to gaming!

LOL

Replies (565)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I am now convinced that the problem lies with the BIOS of the secondary GPU itself and not with the code for which Dell is directly responsible.
There are at least three computer builders with a notebook configuration using the 650m / Intel4000 setup. I own two of them, the 7720 and the HP-Envy DV7T-7300. Aside from Dell owners, I'm not aware of anyone having this issue with the 650m.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Like I mentioned before my computer was forced to restart, After that Nvidia driver disappeared and the nvidia control  Panel would not work. A reboot may of fixed it but I did reinstall the drivers. 

Note: They removed all bios versions from Dell driver downloads web site. 

whats going on?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Nice I found the direct download to A16 BiOS. 

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01731977M/1/7720A16.exe

it was not there yesterday .

http://downloads.dell.com/published/Pages/inspiron-17r-se-7720.html

hope this helps someone 

report back on this thread if all goes well. 

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

A16 BIOS really seemed to improve the performance Of the Nvidia GPU rendering direct X 9 complex  before I updated I used performance test 8.0 and was getting jumpy visuals And frame rates from 60 dropping to 12. Now no jumpy skippy ness   And the frame rate don't drop below 33.

My windows index did not change unfortunately     It's still 5.9 out of 10.  

Direct X 10 and 11 did not seem to improve. It could be the software. 

No issues so far . 

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Brought back the geforce on my system. WOW :-). Will do some testing now, but not sure I can do the windows index on 8.1, seems to have disappeared. ..

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Nevermind, just say Soren's response. :emotion-2:

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Fixes & Enhancements

Fixed -Modify platform name Enhancements - Maintenance releae
ups... spell check:)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

A16 BIOS really seemed to improve the performance Of the Nvidia GPU rendering direct X 9 complex  before I updated I used performance test 8.0 and was getting jumpy visuals And frame rates from 60 dropping to 12. Now no jumpy skippy ness   And the frame rate don't drop below 33.

My windows index did not change unfortunately     It's still 5.9 out of 10.  

Direct X 10 and 11 did not seem to improve. It could be the software. 

No issues so far . 

My Windows performance index is also 5.9, it is going to stay there with the installed 5,400 RPM 1TB drive which is pretty slow, if you swap it out for a 7,200 RPM drive or an SSD, performance should improve considerably across the board.

Also, I just realized while typing this that I can swap out the 7,200 RPM hard drive from my old laptop and put it into my 17r since it has two drive bays, HAHA! Man I love this thing. :emotion-2:

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

OMG! I LOVE YOU!

All I did was install the A16 BIOS that has now finally been officially released and nothing else! When the computer re-started and finished the flashing process, and my computer booted back up again. I instantly went to control manager to see what was up, and to my surprise and amazement IT CAME BACK!

Also I thought I didn't have any nvidia drivers installed since I uninstalled them when it wasn't working never for them to pass 'system requirements check' part of any nvidia / dell nvidia installer.... but after the intel hd 4000 graphics try icon loaded a nvidia one did as well! Oh how I missed that icon, I haven't seen it in a while, and the activity icon ;)

So I saw it was version 314.22 and it was wanting me to update so I did, and chose custom rather then express setup ,and clean install just to be extra safe...

Now there's this new program I'll have to check out 'nvidia experience' or whatever, but I don't remember it before, it was just control panel before, so its proof that its working again and I'm glad too as this is newer driver software :P

So now its working, it actually came through, it actually worked for me and brought my nvidia back from the dead.... I immediately saw a performance boost as I played Assasins Creed 3 to test it (yeah you can see how long since I've actually really played some games haha) and it works beautifully as I remember it before!

So thanks a bunch! Hopefully I wont encounter that 'other' issue others are having that's a bit different... Thanks for fixing the BIOS! It'll probably even work on Linux or other OS's now too :D

MAY THE GEFORCE BE WITH YOU :D

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

:P

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor