Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

September 23rd, 2009 15:00

new Dell 1545 dead

Purshased a new 1545 laptop for my daughter to use at school a couple months ago. Now the computer powers up, the icons come up, the pointer moves around, but nothing is clickable. Nothing will open. Pointer will not click on anything. Shes talked with Dell support over the phone, no help. I called Dell myself to see if they can just send a tech out. Nope. So basically she has a 2 month old paperweight. It is still under warranty. Any ideas? My only other option is for her to take it to a local repair shop and just pay more money to have it fixed.

3 Posts

She has tried troubleshooting on the phone twice. Once for 45 minutes. They did not get the issue resolved. For one thing, she talked to someone from another country both times and she could not understand him very well. He did not say anything about sending a box for return.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

If you purchased an on-site warranty, repair is done at your home or business AFTER you do phone troubleshooting.

If you  DID NOT purchase an onsite warranty, call back - after determining what the problem is, you'll be sent a box in which you ship the system to Dell for repair.

If you can't or won't do the troubleshooting over the phone, then yes, you will have to pay for your own repair.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 23rd, 2009 16:00

That's probably because it doesn't sound like a hardware failure - it's more likely software in origin.  Back up anything you can't afford to lose, power on, press F8 and choose Repair.  Then do a full restore-to-factory.

3 Posts

September 23rd, 2009 18:00

OK, but how do I back up files when I cant click on or select them?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 23rd, 2009 18:00

Try booting into Safe Mode (F8 before Windows loads).

No Events found!