d7v7d
1 Copper

new XPS 9550 no audio

Seemed to be a no audio problem on my new XPS 9550 that per below I eventually have somewhat resolved. Am posting this in case it helps others.

There was no audio in most situations I checked.  Out of the box did not change audio defaults.  While setting up the system and loading applications and files I did not notice whether audio was ok or not because was involved with installing programs.  But after installing Firefox noticed there was no sound when actuating video news links. Did not install any audio media applications, just imaging applications as I am a photographer.  I have been an electronic hardware tech in Silicon Valley for decades so am very familiar with testing and troubleshooting equipment that does not work especially computer hardware and software.

Went online and search for "XPS 9550 audio" and noted some others were having audio issues but different than below.  Did note some were reinstalling audio drivers.

By bringing up Settings...Dell Audio...AdvancedRestore Defaults then selected the Restore button to make sure the PC was set to defaults that of course would have sound functions enabled generating sound.  Actuating that button caused it to go black, light blue,  then blue indicating a function ran.

Settings...Dell Audio...Speaker tab shows MAXXAUDIO PRO.
Selecting Speaker setup selecting the speaker icon button runs the speaker stereo test correctly with sound generated.  However later when repeating this function the audio sometimes began but prematurely muted as though the mux channel glitched shutting off. Also selected Equalizer ON OFF ON but no change.

Much more debug beyond the above then read on the Dell support page to try uninstalling then re-installing the audio drivers of which there were 4.  

Then uninstalled the Intel Display Audio driver but could not find a way to re-install intcdaud.sys including looking on the Intel site thus as feared the advise of uninstalling then reinstalling the drivers was inadequate.

OK, so my sound at least minimally seems ok.  However I would like to have the intcdaud.sys driver installed as at this point that may cause other issue later and if so need to understand how to do so, so it does not repeat the above?

David

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

RE: new XPS 9550 no audio

Then uninstalled the Intel Display Audio driver but could not find a way to re-install intcdaud.sys including looking on the Intel site thus as feared the advise of uninstalling then reinstalling the drivers was inadequate.

Hello David. The advice to uninstall the driver probably meant the Realtek audio driver, not Intel HDMI audio. Windows sys files are outside of my area of audio, but perhaps reinstalling the Intel graphics driver will fix it.

If you go to the XPS 9550 html page, scroll all the way down to the Video category. It would be the 2nd driver in the list if you have Win10. If this suggestion is no good then perhaps you would get better results by posting on the operating system section of this forum.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos