Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2013 10:00

new ac adapter, new battery AND a new ac adapter board- error coding again after less than two months

Inspirion 1545 laptop, two years old....new adapter cord, new battery, and I got the new ac adapter board put in about 6 weeks ago, if that. Today, I am getting the same exact irritating error code & the laptop is refusing to charge. I have replaced everything & done everything I was supposed to do in order to fix this problem, yet I am back to square one in less than two months.

Anybody got any brilliant ideas short of spending money that I don't have on a new laptop...NOT Dell next time, I think. :emotion-12:

HALP.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

April 24th, 2013 10:00

Hi vampfan30,

I am sorry about the frustration; please let us know where did you purchase the parts from? Also try connecting a known good adapter and check if the problem persists.

7 Posts

April 24th, 2013 11:00

the video helped only slightly since I have already REPLACED ALL OF THOSE PARTS ( with Dell parts ) just a few weeks ago.....

934 Posts

Additionally to DELL-Senthil S's post watch the video - it might give you a better understanding how Dell power adapter "interact" with the laptop

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

Non Dell Adapters Will not charge your battery.

For some of the Netbooks like Mini9 Mini 10 it works with just about any charger.

However for The Latitude and Inspiron and Alienware and others that use the charger with 3 wires aka a tiny pin in the center they won't work.   Only a Dell Charger will charge the battery even if its new.  If the tiny pin is broken or the Power Jack is broken it will not charge the battery. If a new Adapter does not work the motherboard will need to be replaced.

My knowledge is relevant and goes back more than 25 years.  If turned on in the bios it will warn you about this by saying "The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. Your system will operate slower and the battery will not charge. Please connect a Dell  AC adapter or higher for best system operation"

934 Posts

April 24th, 2013 13:00

In that case you will have to go through the normal troubleshooting process.Important is that you now know that the adapter uses a third wire (control wire) to transfer data to the laptop - this is a unique Dell "feature".

> check if the power adapter is properly identified in the BIOS (press F2 at powerup)

> if the power adapter is "unknown"

- use a different Dell compatible adapter (borrow one if possible - no one likes to waste money)

- take a close look at the power jack !

> You could also try the old parts if you still have them - I guess that only one of them is faulty.

before you replace a (maybe refurbished) powerboard make sure that there are no visible damages to the power jack

> Since the new parts are just a few weeks old they should be still under warranty ?!

> the worst case scenario would be a faulty mainboard - but I doubt it.

1 Message

April 24th, 2013 17:00

okay....checked, yes, it is unknown. Don't  have a clue how to remedy that situation...

Second, I don't have access to another ac adapter, the one I have is brand new, as I have said before. Npthing wrong with it that I can see, I am very careful with it.

The ac adapter board is brand new, as I have said several times already.

The old parts have been binned, since they were faulty.

Any other suggestions? I am running out of options and patience.

934 Posts

April 24th, 2013 18:00

Let's assume the mainboard is ok:

> the fact that the adapter is unknown means that the BIOS software (stored in a chip on the mainboard) cannot

get information from the power adapter. Inside the power adapter is a tiny memory chip that contains information

about the adapter itself like wattage etc..which is transferred over the control wire (connected to the center pin) to

the laptop

> in case of a faulty power adapter either the memory chip has developed a fault or simply the cable that connects

to the laptop is broken or loose.

> if the power adapter is ok the likelihood is that something is wrong with power jack

> it doesn't matter if parts are new - if badly manufactured they can be faulty right out of the box or fail after some time

Don't blame Dell in such a case - adapters are made by other companies....

============================================

> If your new parts are still under warranty let Dell send you another power adapter plus power board

> have you ever tried carefully wiggling the cable close to the power jack ?

No Events found!