Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

January 23rd, 2015 17:00

new laptop purchase and windows 10 - warranty coverage?

I just called Dell for a presales question before purchasing a new Dell laptop.  I asked what would happen to my warranty (standard or extended) when I upgraded to Windows 10 upon it's release.  I was told it would void my warranty because it would be a change to the system from when it was purchased.

That doesn't make sense since any Windows update would make a change to the original system set up and Windows 10 will be released through Windows update.  Huh?

Any of you Dell guys have a response for this?  As an extra note, I called BestBuy and they said their warranty would cover it.  Please explain or correct.

thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 23rd, 2015 19:00

Installing Windows 10 will not void the hardware warranty.  If you purchase a software warranty extension (the default is only 90 days), it IS likely that changing the OS would void the software warranty -- so you'd be on your own there.

You can pretty much guess that with Windows 10 being a no-cost upgrade over 7 or 8, that ALL support for it will come at a cost - there won't be any free support for it, since it is being supplied free of cost.

19 Posts

January 23rd, 2015 19:00

hardware warranty?  software warranty?  what?  I'm talking about the standard extended warranty from Dell, I've never seen separate warranties between hardware and software.  perhaps you are talking about the written details but your post makes it sound like they are purchased separately.

the agent I spoke with said ALL warranty would be void, including hardware.  will Dell make any clarification regarding this or is it already written somewhere in the standard warranty?  And does it address windows updates that change your system?  I looked but got bogged in all the text.

I'm more concerned with the hardware being covered and getting help figuring out the problem if it breaks.  How the dell programs that check on things will be a factor in how that happens (remote access by a tech). 

19 Posts

January 23rd, 2015 20:00

When Microsoft updated Windows 8 to version 8.1, was that "update" covered by the warranty?  If yes and if Microsoft releases this as an update to 8.1, through windows update, why would it not be covered by the warranty?

No Events found!