Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 20th, 2017 09:00

newly purchase xps15-9550 pcie 512g ssd 84 wh battery - try to add evo 850 on to the hdd slot, take out the 84 wh battery

Hi ! I need help to determine if I just plug in the samsung evo850 drive with oxdygx cable, onto the motherboard, with the UEFI-bios ask me to initialize the evo850 dirve?  If yes, after format the evo850 as GPT, will the bios manage the 512g pcie ssd as C drive (with windows 10 in it) and evo850 as D drive (data disk)?  

Another question is whether hdd password can be managed by the uefi-bio just like the legacy bios?

Also whether a similiar hdd password can be used on 512 pcie ssd?  

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 20th, 2017 13:00

The initialization takes place under WIndows - NOT in setup.  UEFI will detect the drive, but you must use the disc manager to partition and format it.

Hopefully you realize you'll need to replace that 84 W-H battery with a 56 W-H unit (the drive needs the space occupied by the extra cells in the larger battery).

Your existing C drive will be unaltered - if you have no other drives attached, the new drive should show up as D>

You should be able to set a password on both drives -- that said, they're not of much security (they can be removed and once that's done, the data is open for access).  Effectively if you have a need for security, drive encryption (bitlocker if you have 10 Pro) is a much, much, much better idea.

Also be advised:  the hard drive password ties the drive to the system.  If for some reason the mainboard gets damaged, the data will not be accessible without the intervention of a data recovery/password removal service, so backups - of both drives -- are ESSENTIAL.

No Events found!