Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2015 20:00

no video will show

i have a Inspiron 17 7737  

I guess it all started when i tried to download and install win 10

It failed 3 times ,and each time my computer had to go back to win.8.1

If i remember it was "out of the Box  roll back,its been a while so memory is blurry because of all the messing around trying that download.,this was a month or so ago

Anyway i thought i would update the nvidia driver, when that was done the picture didn't look right at all,seemed over contrasted light.

So i thought i would do a system restore rollback to an earlier time.,thats where the problem began.,the system restore went ok

I booted up computer ok,it went to the password page ok, logged in and start page came up with all the tiles, everything is ok up to this point.

when i clicked on the desktop tile the screen went black, a white border rectangle pops up and flashes  ( it is black inside also )

At the top of the rectangle it says Program Compatibility Assistant, that will flash a couple of times fast then the screen goes black and thats it, nothing will come up afterwards,

I did the extended boot test and the boot system is ok.

Everything is ok up to the start page tiles and cannot go past there,just a black screen

I can t  get into any screen to access the recover sections.

I was thinking ,if i bought a win 8.1 disc it might load up windows,not sure if it would work or not, i have tried a few places but no one sells win 8 anymore ,only win 10 and i do not want that, 

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be, any help would be appreciated.

Obviously i am using another computer to do this

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 1st, 2015 09:00

You must use the Dell Drivers and Download page to get graphics drivers that are customized for your dell model--not those from Nvidia which have messed up your configuration. Go to Dell Support and get the right drivers and store them on a disk or thumb drive until you can install them. 

Since you can boot the computer try tapping F12 as soon as you reboot without waiting for any screen. That should bring up the Boot Menu to get to boot and recovery options. Even another return to factory settings would be a good choice if available. That would be better than reinstalling windows 8.1. If you need installation media for win 8.1--See the Create Media page-- 

windows.microsoft.com/.../create-reset-refresh-media

10 Posts

November 1st, 2015 09:00

Thanks Mary 

I will let you know how it works out,i think i did try the F12 a while ago  with no success  

10 Posts

November 2nd, 2015 17:00

i see if you are not under warr Dell does not want any part of chatting, not very good service 

Anyway Mary this is basically what i did and the results 

I tried F12, ( i have tried so many times i lost count ) that does not work ,the computer just carries on to
the login and then start page.
I cannot go anywhere after the start page, any choice and screen goes black
I did try settings then change PC settings.
It came up and i chose to refresh pc, when i clicked that the screen
went black, i left it thinking maybe in the background unseen it might be doing it
the screen stayed black and 10 minutes later a white screen with a wide black horizontal
stripe in the middle came up, the airplane and bat icon at lower left.
I left that a bit then moved the mouse to upper right corner and it went black again.
Since then the change pc settings option will not come up again
I searched control panel, clicked on that and screen went black.

So i cannot do anything, a little over a year old and its a piece of junk, i had to go out and buy another, but it wasn't a dell.

Support  is terrible, when i was here before some chat thing kept appearing and now i want to chat its nowhere to be seen

No Events found!