Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

July 10th, 2013 19:00

numlock

Any ideas on how to set NUMLOCK ON at startup? 

807 Posts

Please provide your OS and Laptop model

2K Posts

Hi cwright1952,

At the system startup the NUMLOCK key comes up by default. If this doesn’t happen you may hit the NUMLOCK key present on the keyboard and it should glow.

If still it doesn’t work, do let me know what happens along with the system model. I will then check and see what can be done

10 Posts

July 11th, 2013 12:00

Great - did that, now what? I don't see any changes to any options... thanks

10 Posts

I have a Dell XPS 17, and Windows 7. No options are available when I boot up. It's not a big deal to turn on NumLk, of course, but I'd prefer it be automatically on. Thanks for any help!

10 Posts

Nothing happens when I boot up. I have a Dell XPS 17 and use Windows 7

807 Posts

July 11th, 2013 13:00

No changes to options but there now should be a Number Lock icon that shows up in the system tray. Quickset should be allowed to load on every boot. Check Msconfig > Startup Tab for the Quickset entry.

934 Posts

July 11th, 2013 13:00

If neither Quickset nor the BIOS (F2 at powerup) gives you Numlock set options you may try this little tool:

keyboard-leds.com

934 Posts

July 11th, 2013 17:00

Did you mark the box "Automatically run program on startup" ? Your settings should be loaded.

807 Posts

If you feel comfortable editing the registry try this solution.

For some reason, the default value of some of the registry keys (not all) were changed in windows 7, which causes the system to apparently ignore the InitialKeyboardIndicators settings in those other locations.  

Press Windows key and type regedit. Perform a search for  InitialKeyboardIndicators and change all their values to 2

0 - Turn all indicators Off (NumLock, CapsLock, ScrollLock)

1 - Turn CapsLock On

2 - Turn NumLock On

3 - Turn CapsLock and NumLock On

4 - Turn ScrollLock On

5 - Turn CapsLock and ScrollLock On

6 - Turn NumLock and ScrollLock On

7 - Turn all indicators On (NumLock, CapsLock, ScrollLock)

In some cases, the string value was a 7 or 8 digit number such as 21765430.  These entries are the cause of the reboot change in the num lock status. Setting the value to 2 ensures that the setting remains on bootup.

10 Posts

Nothing worked, including the nifty little tool. I like the tool, it just didn't do what I'm trying to set up - having the numlock on when I power up.

10 Posts

July 11th, 2013 19:00

Yes with no difference.

10 Posts

I tried this, but there was only one field for indicator values. Did not indicate caps, numlock or scroll lock. Value was set to "2". I changed it to 0 and rebooted, but it came back up as a "2" again, and caps lock was still off.

10 Posts

Yes I did, with no difference

934 Posts

July 12th, 2013 03:00

Keyboard Led works on my machine ,so I don't really know why it won't on your laptop - anyway I might have another solution to your problem: "AutoHotKey"

download the following zip-file and extract it onto the desktop:

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/.../NumlockON_OFF.zip

The zip-file contains 4 files:

=====================

NumlockON.exe

NumlockOFF.exe

NumlockON.ahk

NumlockOFF.ahk

=====================

If you trust me you can run NumlockON.exe right away(nothing will be installed on your system)and Numlock should be turned on.- test it.If it works you can then move the file into the Windows startup-folder so that the file is automatically executed  whenever you restart Windows.

=====================

I included NumlockOFF.exe in case you want to disable NumlockON every now and then

=====================

If you don't trust me you can use the ahk files (simple text-files) to create your own exe-files but in that case you have to download and install AutoHotKey.

watch the video to see AutoHotKey in "action"

No Events found!