Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2016 10:00

plugged in not charging - battery charging disabled

Hi,

I have a dell xps 12, bought in 2012. Recently the battery stopped charging. The battery shows 0%, so I have to be plugged in to turn the laptop on. When it is on, the battery icon on the task bar says "plugged in, charging" but after a day it is still 0%.

Since then I bought a new battery. Just fitted it, but now the battery icon on the task bar says "plugged in, not charging". Furthermore, when I Fn+F3 to show the battery meter, it says "battery charging diabled". There is no option here to turn battery charging on. Nor is there an option to enable battery charging in BIOS. 

BIOS does show battery performing normally, so does the battery meter (Fn+F3). BIOS also shows AC adapter as 45W, which is the original adapter.

Any help is appreciated!

August 29th, 2016 02:00

Hello,

Try the following steps and let me know if it helps

1. From the desktop Screen Press the windows key + R , which will open the 'Run' command box and then type devmgmt.msc

2. In Device Manager, Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall

3. restart the computer.

Please check if this resolves the issue. Also have you tried updating the BIOS and the chipset drivers.

3 Posts

August 29th, 2016 05:00

Hi DELL-ANIKETH S,

I have tried the steps you suggested but it did not work. 

I cannot update BIOS as the battery is at 0%.

I have updated chipset drivers and it did not solve the problem.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

3 Posts

August 29th, 2016 05:00

Further to my previous reply:

After restarting the laptop, a message showed up "battery temporarily disabled...". I pressed F2 and viewed battery status - it says "please reseat AC adapter and restart...". Now in the taskbar the battery icon says "plugged in, not charging" and the battery meter says "battery charging disabled". 

So, before chipset update, battery was "plugged in, charging" according to taskbar, "charging" and "performing normally" in battery meter. After the chipset update, battery is "plugged in, not charging" according to taskbar, and "battery charging disabled" and "performing normally" in battery meter.

It seems to me the adapter is faulty (which is the original one) but any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

August 30th, 2016 01:00

1. Please shutdown the computer and unplug the adapter from the system.
  2. Unplug all connected peripherals.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and hold the power button for 30  seconds.
  5. Please insert the battery and power the system on.

Try this step.  Run a hardware diagnostics on the computer that would be Fn + power on the system. You can also check if the system charges while its is shutdown.

Let me know if any of it helped.

No Events found!