Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

8 Posts

February 16th, 2007 14:00

popping/skipping of ripped files

hi-im having problems playing back ripped files in my inspiron 1501. (using WMP 11 library Vista HP os) no matter how long the track is, when there is exactly 20 seconds left, the music is interrupted by a 2-3 skip . now manually ffwd/rwding thru the last portion of each track reveals that the rip went fine- its in the playback. playing the track in Winamp, etc is a little bit better-popping is reduced
(as long as there rent too many other things going on) and it doesnt skip-but the library was actually
one of microsoft preinstalls that i liked! anyone else going thru something similar?

37 Posts

April 3rd, 2007 18:00

Uninstalling and reinstalling audio drivers made no difference.

April 3rd, 2007 22:00

Letting Vista install its own driver has helped to a point, but it still has the occasional popping.

Message Edited by StereoHeathen on 04-03-2007 06:16 PM

April 4th, 2007 01:00

I've got a 1490, others have said they have 1390's, or whatever the Intel one is. The 1500's not the problem, if that's what you were saying.

37 Posts

The Dell 1500 was offered for 3 weeks after the Vista release. I know, I have 2 of them - one from the first week of February and the second from the last week of February. Both laptops are with Vista and 1500's.

That's funny, I've been trying to get an Intel card for replacement for the 1500 and Dell won't even offer it to me. I've said all along they should offer a replacement for the 1500's and that this will eventually play out as an IRQ conflict.

14 Posts

I have gone through many of the issues here. I hope some of this advice helps: It seems that some people have found several "causes" of this issue.

If you think it's your WiFi then try the following tests:

1) Play continuous sound such as an mp3 in Windows Media Player

2) Disable WiFi (Fn->F2). Listen for 1-2 min, does the sound popping exist? If the skip/pop goes away, you are likely getting WiFi interference.

3) Enable WiFi, do you hear sound popping right away? You can try toggling WiFi on and off repeatedly to see if you hear sound popping while the WiFi is "enabling." If so you are likely getting WiFi interference.

4) With WiFi enabled, load the list of "available WiFi networks" - On the right side is a refresh button. When you press this button do you hear sound skipping? Press it repeatedly. If so you are likely getting WiFi interference. In windows Vista this button is essentially "pressed" for you every 30-60 seconds - hence the intermittent audio-popping.

For those that think it's the Dell Quickset, SATA HD Controller, or other devices in the system. I would recommend that you try steps 3 & 4 just to make sure.

If WiFi is your cause there are several solutions/minimizers:

1) Getting the latest drivers definitely seems to minimize this problem, but does not make it go away. Steps 3,4 still produce popping.

2) Disabling 802.11a does seem to minimize this problem further, but this is not a real solution for some/most people.

3) I tried replacing the WiFi card with a new Dell 1500 - this had zero effect.

4) After all that, a senior Dell Tech said that there could be an IRQ conflict with the Dell 1500 & SigmaTel cards. If Vista forces them to use the same IRQ, this would explain the Popping. This could be unique to certain configurations, which would explain why it does not effect everyone with a Dell 1500 & SigmaTel card. Or there could just be an inherent conflict with all Dell 1500 Cards and some people don't notice it. He then shipped an Intel 3945 Card to me. Once installed and driver updated, the sound skip/pop was gone.

For those who have this on the Intel cards, perhaps using the Dell 1500 (broadcomm) would fix your problem, if it is just a random Vista IRQ conflict. However, I still am leaning toward this being a specific issue with the Dell 1500 (Broadcomm) because as soon as Vista was officially shipped with the Dell e1505 laptop, they no longer offered the Dell 1500 as an option - it has been replaced with the "Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N". Coincidence? Maybe.

2 Posts

I had the same issue as most of you with my brand new Inspiron 6400 Laptop, Core Duo 2GHz, 2GB of Ram, Dell 1500 Wireless N card, running Vista.

After a lot of investigation, i found out that i could get rid of the annoying popping sound by disabling the Wireless card on my laptop...not a good thing as i often listen music while browsing on the internet... so this problem is a major issue, not to mention that i use my laptop to record/mix music.

I installed all the latest drivers, did a fresh re-install of Vista... Unfortunately, nothing helped resolve the issue.

Major disappointment when I called Dell Technical support. (4 times).. they told me they weren't aware of this issue (!!) while this thread had already more than 100+ post. I politely suggested them to read their own discussion forum which seems to be of better help for this issue. Dell sent me a 1500 replacement card but in the meantime, i found out that i could get rid of the popping sound by disabling the 802.11a band. So, for me, disabling the 802.1a in my driver advanced properties seems to be a valid workaround (for now).  I expect Dell to find the root cause of this issue as i really feel that we're only patching something and that I'm lucky that this fix is working for me.

Note: Before re-installing Vista, i installed Windows XP Pro on my laptop and didn't get this issue. Is problem only Vista related?

On a side note, I'm kind of worried because Dell is no longer offering the Dell 1500 as an option (as previously mentioned by another user). It seems that this option have been replaced with the "Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N". Do any of you is having the same issue while using the Intel N chipset? Is there something Dell doesn't want to disclose? When Dell sent me a replacement card, i asked to get an Intel brand instead of a Dell...but they refused as they can only replace your hardware for what you ordered :-(

Hopefully this issue will be fully resolved by a software/driver update...of by a hardware fix before my warranty expire. smileysad:

14 Posts

April 4th, 2007 02:00

Right, Previously you had to pick the Intel 3945 Card to get "Centrino" certified on the laptop. Still, as far as I could tell, you can no longer choose the Dell 1500 card any more, centrino or no centrino. They do still offer the Dell Wireless 1390b/g. Perhaps this does not have issues as it does not have the 802.11a? I think this one does not give centrino status either. Hope this helps

37 Posts

The Intel-Next Gen-N is being offered as part of the Centrino package. With the 1500's, our laptops are not Centrino stickered.

37 Posts

Right, only Intel wireless cards give the Centrino certification. This is probably why Dell will not give the Intel-Next Gen-N cards as a replacement for the 1500's.

The 1500's were no longer offered as an option around the first week of March.

14 Posts

>>I've got a 1490, others have said they have 1390's
>>or whatever the Intel one is. The 1500's not
>>the problem, if that's what you were saying.

I could be wrong, but the 1490 and 1390 are both Dell/Broadcom Chips. The Intel is the 3945. The 1490 (offering a/b/g) and being the predecessor to the Dell 1500 (offering a/b/g/n). The Dell 1390 (offering b/g) is still available via Dell. So it would not surprise me if the Dell/Broadcom 1490 and Dell/Broadcom 1390 chips show similar incompatibilities.

Message Edited by ste1505 on 04-03-2007 10:24 PM

1 Message

April 4th, 2007 08:00

So I have bought an Inspiron 1501 recently (with the 1390 WL card) and I tried every possible solution I have found here on the board but nothing worked.
I still get the popping sounds, which is very annoying since I bought my laptop also to use as an mp3-player (connected with my stereo).

I have the impression that the ticking gets worse when I use the touchpad (mouse) and surf on the internet.

I really hope there will be a definite solution soon, but for now I am not so happy buying a Dell pc.

2 Posts

April 4th, 2007 11:00

Some additionnal info... Even though disabling the 802.11a greatly seems to be a valid workaround to get rid of most of the popping in the audio, i've been able to still get some audio popping while changing the luminosity of my laptop screen (FN key + Up Arrow). For instance i'm changing the laptop luminosty setting while i have the wireless card enabled, MP3 playing in Winamp and my Antivirus software running. I haven''been able to reproduce the popping if my wireless was disabled by doing the luminosity modification. Maybe it is unrelated but it might be another hint to identify the root cause. It is also hard to reproduce if my Antivirus is not working...which make me think that we might have some kind of multiple process running at the same time problem...

Anybody else have been able to get popping in the audio while playing with the screen luminosity (and having MP3 + process workin in the backgroud (AVG antivirus) + wireless enabled + 802.11a disabled)?

Message Edited by ktuluboy on 04-04-2007 07:44 AM

3 Posts

April 4th, 2007 12:00

He then shipped an Intel 3945 Card to me. Once installed and driver updated, the sound skip/pop was gone.

So it works? Now we have conflicting reports. I just got off the phone with them after an hour of discussion and they won't budge on giving me a different card. Purchasing another card will not be covered under my Latitude's 3 year warranty, and to be quite honest I don't feel like spending more money on a brand new laptop.

I'm sending this back and getting a Macbook.

Message Edited by Zeromus on 04-04-2007 08:59 AM

Message Edited by Zeromus on 04-04-2007 08:59 AM

37 Posts

April 4th, 2007 13:00

Sending it back is probably your smartest choice available. I wish I wouldn't have waited too long and sent both of mine back. I find it hard to believe that there wasn't some kind of testing done on these units before the official release of Vista that revealed these problems. But then again, if you don't want to find a problem, you just don't look for it.

I know I can't get Dell to budge on offering me an Intel card. They told me it's not possible and won't happen.

41 Posts

April 4th, 2007 14:00

Zeromis, you should know that if you plan on putting Vista on that Macbook, some of the Macbooks are having the exact same problem for Vista; the new ones are, anyway. They have the same Broadcom chipset and don't have drivers that don't pop. I guess Apple's OS X will work fine, I'm not sure, but I just noticed this problem on a mac forum while I was searching for solutions to our problem.
No Events found!