Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

S

7 Posts

September 10th, 2004 00:00

possible to hotplug 8200's floppy

I've owned this laptop almost 2 years and it's treated me well. I've had virtually no problems with it (except for the time I ruined the boot record and trashed the hard drive on a pre-release install of XP SP2. It was no fun watching my data soar over the horizon, leaving me in the dust).

Anyway, my question is: is it possible to hotplug the 8200's floppy drive in Win XP after disconnecting it? My initial reaction to this question would be no, because I did so (after correctly stopping it in Windows), and it has not been detected. I've searched the internet in vain for this answer, yet to no avail. Please someone answer this question for me.

System specs:
(Probably should put this in my signature)
Pentium 4-m 1.9Ghz
384MB RAM
40GB HDD
24x DVD/CD-RW Drive
Modular Floppy Drive

4.4K Posts

September 10th, 2004 02:00

The simple answer is yes.  You can hot swap anything in the Media Bay.  After stopping it in Windows, did you remove the hard drive and then re-insert it?  When you re-insert the floppy drive, Windows should recognize it.

I have an I8000 which is older than yours and it works this way for me.

7 Posts

September 10th, 2004 13:00

I was just wondering if it was possible. I removed the floppy drive (after stopping it properly in Win XP) just to see if I could purchase another battery to put in that bay. After seeing that the connection is the same that is on the primary battery (the one I received with the computer), I tried plugging the floppy drive back in. Windows did not recognize it (as a result of an error on my part), and I restarted the computer hoping that it would be detected when it restarted.

One thing I did notice immediately when I plugged it back in before restarting is that WMP (Win Media Player) froze for an instant when I plugged it in. The drive was not completely inserted properly, so Win did not recognize it though.

I'm sorry if I confused you (I don't have a media bay HD, just a floppy drive for BIOS updates). I am now a proud owner of a 2nd battery for my 8200; just waiting on it to ship.

At this point, I was under the impression that the media drive was not hot-plugabble. However, when I restarted, the BIOS threw an error saying that the device in the media drive is not properly inserted. I shut off the computer, pushed a little harder on the drive and Windows started properly.

I do thank you for clarifying that, as I was still under the impression that it was not hot-pluggable.

Message Edited by spartas on 09-10-2004 09:08 AM

No Events found!