Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 17th, 2013 05:00

problem with Dell touchpad

Hey,

I bought a new dell laptop 9 months ago, inspiron 5520 model with win 8.

I've troubles with the  touchpad, its not working at all, and has this orange light directed that the touchpad is off. When I try to turn it back on, it doesn't respond, and it stay the same, I've this problem back and forward a few months now, but it was going on and off, sometimes moving erratically and then shut down. I'm using a USB mouse instead, but its not always comfortable.

I tried to install a new driver, but the system says that it can't make it work code 10, and under that it says that I should turn to my device manufacturer, I try to restore my system to last restore point, but it also didn't work. I even try refresh my system but it doesn't seem to work either.

please help,

Hila

1.3K Posts

August 17th, 2013 06:00

Hi Hila,

Welcome to Dell Community Forum.

There are two ways to enable/disable the touchpad.

• Press + to enable or disable the touchpad. An indicator LED lights up just above the touchpad once it has been disabled.

OR

• Click Start  ->Control Panel->Hardware and Sound.
  • Double click Dell Touchpad and enable/disable on the application window by clicking Touchpad On/Off.

Try the steps mentioned above and let us know if further help is needed.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

3 Posts

August 17th, 2013 08:00

Hi Babita,

I already try those things, as mention above in my original message, none of them seemed to work, when I try to update the drivers, it says that the device can't work (code 10), under that it says that I need to connect with device manufacturer, since the thouchpad is a built-in in the lap-top I came here.

The LED light is permanent turned on, when I go to Device Manager, and try to disable and then enable it, it stays the same.

What should I do?

Hila

1.3K Posts

August 17th, 2013 09:00

Hi Hila,

Thank you for your reply.

Have you checked the Touchpad/Mouse settings in Control Panel? It may be possible that the option to disable internal touchpad when an external mouse has been connected may be checked.

Please click on the link below and try updating the BIOS for your computer.

http://dell.to/19AiVJa

How to download and update latest BIOS: http://dell.to/13HzFpd

Plug your computer to a good, working UPS before you update the BIOS. If you experience a loss of AC power or a significant voltage sag/spike during the BIOS flash, you will either have to replace the BIOS chip or motherboard. Disconnect all external devices and confirm there is no cd/dvd in the optical drive prior to updating the BIOS.

Please keep us posted on the results.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

3 Posts

August 17th, 2013 11:00

Hi Babita,

The BIOS is up-to-date, I guess I didn't mention it before, but before all of this happened, both the internal and external mouse device work perfectly fine together, but I checked as you suggest, but this option you were talking about is not check.

I tried to uninstall the device, but now the system says, another error code num.24 which says the following:

device is not exist, not working properly, or has not all its drivers installed.

When I'm entering to the log of the device it says "Device ACPI\DLL056A\4&135a8ead&0 had a problem starting."

I'm desperate, I don't know what else I should do.

1.3K Posts

August 20th, 2013 05:00

Hi Hila,

Thank you for your reply.

Since the system is under warranty, please contact me through private message by clicking on my name highlighted in blue. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide your service tag and contact information (as mentioned below) so that I may access your system records.

• System Service Tag No.:
  • Registered System Owner's Name:
  • Shipping address:
  • Telephone number/s:
  • Email address:

Please reply at the earliest so that we may assist you further.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

Dell Community will be performing site maintenance between August 21st and August 23rd, 2013.  You may also reach us on Facebook and Twitter for Support.

No Events found!