Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 14th, 2013 05:00

problems when just typing

I bought a Dell Inspiron N7010 laptop with windows 7 home premium in 2011. I have ran a few online scans from dell, but my laptop passed every test,   but   , When typing with the keyboard, whenever i use the caps button to go from caps to lowercase or vice-aversa, the cursor disappears for a few seconds, then hangs, then re-appears after a few seconds pass. Sometimes i have to use the mouse to make the cursor re-appear in the specific place to carry on typing after changing. Is there any solution for this problem as its driving me crazy. thanks guys.

Internet explorer 9

2.6K Posts

February 21st, 2013 09:00

Hello Andy,

It seems that the issue is with the user profile. Since it works in the new user account, I would suggest you to use the new one. I am sure you must have a lot of data in your old account. Hence please transfer all the data from the old account to the new one

**Note: Do not delete the folders and files from the account they are in until you are sure they are duplicated where you need them.
Once the files are transferred, the old account can be deleted. 

Hope this helps!

February 22nd, 2013 05:00

Hello Allan,

I just want to say a big thank you for all your help mate. I realy do appreciate your time and effort in staying with me and your input, to help solve this irritating problem. I have been busy transfering my folders to the new account, and as of now, everything is working out just fine.

Keep on doing what you do pal, i'm sure all appreciate it.

Regards and best wishes,

have a great day, wherever you are !!

Andy(Glasgow Boy

2.6K Posts

February 14th, 2013 06:00

Hello Glasgow Boy,

There are few things I would suggest which would help us in isolating the issue. Please try the following steps:

1. Try typing in the note pad and check if the issue persist.
2. Disable the touch pad and try typing and check if the issue persists. 
3. Boot the computer into safe mode and check if the issue persists while typing. 
-- Restart the computer.
-- Keep tapping F8 at the Dell Logo Screen.
-- Once the computer enters Advanced Boot Option, select Safe Mode.
-- Press Enter.
-- Check if the computer is doing the same thing in safe mode.

Please try the steps and write back with results. I would also like to know when exactly you face the problem. Is it while typing in a browser (webpage) or does it happens when typing in MS Words or note pad?

February 14th, 2013 16:00

hi allan, thanks for answering with some suggestive help mate, appreciate your time. the issue persists whenever i type, on any program, notepad, wordpad, browser etc.

results after following your thoughts,

after step 1. the issue still persists in notepad

after step 2. the issue still persists after i disabled the touch pad

after step 3. (boot in safe mode) the issue was resolved and typing returned to normal working order in all programes.

boot in safe mode done the trick allan and solved the problem. but after re-booting back to normal windows operation the issue has obviously returned. hope this might trigger something in your thoughts of whats causing the problem mate. fogive my time lapse between replies pal, i'm a night shift worker with no access to the net during my shifts and sleep most of the afternoon and evening. again, i appreciate your time.

thanks

2.6K Posts

February 15th, 2013 09:00

Hello Galsgow Boy,

Thank you for replying. Appreciate all your efforts in troubleshooting the issue. In this situation, I would suggest performing a Clean Boot which might help us in fixing the issue. 

Please try the steps and write back with results, would be glad to assist further.  

February 15th, 2013 15:00

Hello again Allan,

Good to hear from you again mate. Have just performed the clean boot start up as you suggested and tried typing on wordpad, notepad & browser. The problem has again been fixed and typing is back to normal. Your suggestions are certainly spot on Allan.

I dont want to get a step ahead of myself here, but am i supposed to perform a normal boot start up now, or will that just restore the problem again. As i understand it, some programs/services that the system may need will not be running. I will leave all as it is for the moment and await your instruction.

Great work so far mate,

thanks,

Andy, (Glasgow Boy)

2.6K Posts

February 18th, 2013 07:00

Hello Andy,

Since it worked on a clean boot, let us isolate which start up or service is causing the issue:
-- Open msconfig and enable first 3 start up items.
-- Restart the computer and check the functionality.
-- If it works, enable the next 3, restart the computer and check the functionality.
-- Repeat the same process for all the start up items and then followed by the Services.
-- when ever the issue occurs, disable the last 3 and check one by one.
This would help us is isolate the startup/service that is creating the issue.

Please write back with results, would be glad to assist you further.  

February 19th, 2013 05:00

Hey Allan thanks for staying with me mate,

I have just gone through the process you suggested and pinpointed the culprit.

Item: Quickset

Manufacturer: Dell Inc

Command: c:\Progam Files\Dell\Quickset\Quickset.exe

Im a bit suprised that it is a Dell program that has been causing the problem Allan.

Are there any more actions to take, or now that it's not enabled on startup the issue is resolved.

Thanks a million mate

Andy(Glasgow Boy)

2.6K Posts

February 19th, 2013 09:00

Hello Andy,

Since quick-set  is causing the issue, re-installing quick-set might help us in fixing the issue. 
-- Uninstall the existing quickset drivers from program and features (Start - Control Panel - Program and Features).
-- Restart the computer.
-- To download the quick-set, click here.
-- Download and Install the Quick-set for the system.
-- Restart the computer and check the functionality. 

Hope that helps!

February 20th, 2013 03:00

Good morning Allan,

-- Uninstalled Quickset & restarted the computer

-- Followed the download link to Dell

-- Selected the download at top of page

-- Dell QuickSet

-- Release Date: 5/30/2010

-- Version: 10.6.2, A04

-- File Name: R265152.exe

Downloaded and installed the version above, then restarted again. Once fully booted i tried typing in wordpad & notepad.

The same problem reoccured immediately.

I have disabled Quickset from starting for now, and typing has yet again returned to normal.

I wish i could remember exactly when this started Allan, as it may be conflicting with another program (just a thought), but at the time, i just thought it was a minor glitch that would probably sort itself out at the next startup,(it did'nt) and that was months ago now.

Thanks for your assistance and patience Allan,

Andy(Glasgow Boy)

2.6K Posts

February 20th, 2013 08:00

Hello Andy,

I really appreciate all your efforts in troubleshooting the issue. The next step I would suggest is:
Try creating a new user account and check the functionality. Please ensure to create an administrator account. I would also request you to enable the quick-set from start-up when checking in the new user account. 

February 21st, 2013 02:00

Good morning Allan,

New user administrator account created with quick-set enabled.

Once created i opened notepad and wordpad, tried typing, and everything went fine, no problems.

I then switched user, back to my original account and done the same, the error still exists there.

On the first login to my original account i could'nt help but notice that there were many empty spaces as almost half of my program shortcuts have gone from my desktop (around 19 in all).

I was'nt expecting that just by creating a new account, but i suppose they can be put back.

I think i know what the next step might be, but i'll not get ahead of myself before i hear it from you Allan.

Thanks mate,

Andy(Glasgow Boy)

2.6K Posts

February 22nd, 2013 08:00

Hello Andy,

I am glad that the issue is resolved. I appreciate all your efforts in fixing the problem.

Kindly post me if you need any further help.

193 Posts

February 22nd, 2013 08:00

If the problem happens in Quick Set, disable it on start up using MSconfig and be done with it.

1 Message

February 28th, 2013 09:00

HI Allan, I can't seem to find where to post my own question and since it seemed similiar to Andy's problem, I'm going to try posting here. I just began using my husband's Dell Inspiron N7010. I find the font size on the screen I'm on changes almost constantly! I have it set at 100% and it randomly changes anywhere from down to 70% up to 150%. I will try to move the cursor somewhere on the screen, and this little gray bar pops up all the time, right on the cursor, and the screen starts scrolling. I am on a laptop ALL THE TIME and never have this issue on other computers, and I asked my husband about it and he says, Yes, this does it all the time. I don't know how he works on it. It is driving me NUTS! Please tell me if there is some kind of setting you can adjust to make it 100% where it won't change at a random moment's notice. When it does change, a gray box even pops up in the top right portion of the screen that says something like "revert to original size" or something simliar. I would appreciate any help with this issue. Thank you, Tracey

Texas

No Events found!