Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

January 20th, 2009 03:00

problems with xps1330 display

Sincea couple of weeks I have been experiencing intermittent problems with my xps 1330 display. At times it boots on complete black screen, but I can hear the booting sound, I am able to enter my password, log on and restart/shout down using the keyboard. Sometimes the screen is backlit but still no image and booting normal, and now very rarely it boots normally, but then the image on the screen kind of 'implodes' (like switching off an old TV) and gets back to the complete black screen. If I plug in an external monitor it works fine, so I am a bit puzzled, as it might not be the GPU as reported in other posts??? On diagnostic boot I get the 3-2-1 beeps, meaning that something is wrong, but my warranty expired mid-December so there is not much I can expect in terms of replacement. Any help most welcome !!!

30 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 19:00

Since the image is fine on an external monitor, it sounds like a screen display problem. A gpu problem would be duplicated on the external monitor.

9 Posts

February 2nd, 2009 19:00

It seems like it might be the inverter ( power supply to the backlight ) 

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 19:00

Just wondering if you ever figured this out?  My XPS 1330 is doing the same thing.  It will actually work fine for a few days and then I get the strange screen (like the old fashioned tv's) and then it locks up and quits.

Just curious if you found anything out.

Thanks

lcalpacas

1 Message

April 15th, 2009 14:00

i experience this thing right now on my xps m1330. when it's in the mood, it works fine, but then suddenly the screen would go black or just the image would freeze, although the computer still shuts down properly. when i connect an external display, it works fine. at first, it only crashed rarely, but lately, it only works rarely as most of the times when I start it, it just shows lines on the display. anyone knows what the problem might be?

2 Posts

Most likely it is the video card. They had to replace mine and now all is working fine.  Hopefully you have it under warranty although they should replace it either way since it is a known issue with this xps computer.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

If the external monitor works, it sounds like a faulty screen or screen to mainboard cable, not a faulty video chip.

2 Posts

April 16th, 2009 00:00

thanks all who have helped with this issue. Eventually the problem got worse and I had to replace the motherboard, but this time I avoided buying one with the Nvidia card, simply the standard video adapter by intel (of course not the same level of performance, but just didn't want to take a chance...). Now everything works fine again.

No Events found!