Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 31st, 2009 00:00

question about the graphics/video card of dell studio 17 laptop

hi i just bought my dell studio17 laptop..i just wanna know..can i upgrade the video/graphics card of this laptop?

26 Posts

March 31st, 2009 01:00

What video card do you have listed in your device manager so that i may try to find an answer for you.

4.6K Posts

March 31st, 2009 05:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

Why are you only thinking about this now?

If there's an upgrade available, you would've had the option to select it during the 'customize' phase of your order :emotion-55:

But to see if there's an upgrade available, you could've just gone to the Studio 17 page on the Dell website - as I've just done, and gone through the various 'customize' options again, to see if there is an upgrade available?

It has an integrated Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics chip as standard, but there is an option to upgrade it to a 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650.

I don't know if that option will still be available to you though, and chances are Dell will charge you through the nose for it, if it is.

It'll require returning the system to Dell as well, because the upgrade involves dismantling the laptop, and you'd void your warranty if you were to do that yourself!

All in all... you'd have been far better upgrading the graphics at the customization phase.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 31st, 2009 05:00

This model does not have a video card - whether Intel integrated or ATI, it's a chip soldered to the mainboard.  It cannot be upgraded post-purchase unless you change the entire mainboard, which is a $500+ proposition that will cost you your warranty.

4 Posts

March 31st, 2009 13:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

Why are you only thinking about this now?

If there's an upgrade available, you would've had the option to select it during the 'customize' phase of your order :emotion-55:

But to see if there's an upgrade available, you could've just gone to the Studio 17 page on the Dell website - as I've just done, and gone through the various 'customize' options again, to see if there is an upgrade available?

It has an integrated Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics chip as standard, but there is an option to upgrade it to a 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650.

I don't know if that option will still be available to you though, and chances are Dell will charge you through the nose for it, if it is.

It'll require returning the system to Dell as well, because the upgrade involves dismantling the laptop, and you'd void your warranty if you were to do that yourself!

All in all... you'd have been far better upgrading the graphics at the customization phase.

hi i just thought about it.because my brother is asking me if the video card of the laptop is upgradeable..because he said as time pass by..i should upgrade my video card..and i already bought this one so i dont know..

4 Posts

March 31st, 2009 13:00

i think its a intel gma 4500hd?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 31st, 2009 14:00

The system doesn't have a video card - nor any provision for one.  Whether Intel integrated or ATI, the video is a chip on the mainboard - theoretically, you can replace the mainboard -- but the cost of doing so will run over $500, and you'll lose your warranty in the process.

4 Posts

If it's new (21 days from shipment or fewer) return it and re-order. 

i got this from best buy and this is their last stock?

uhm im just wondering..so my videocard cannot be upgraded?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

If it's new (21 days from shipment or fewer) return it and re-order. 

No Events found!