Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 23rd, 2013 16:00

"Operating System Missing" for DELL XPS 14Z Laptop

Hey guys,

Wanted to know if any of you would have a remedy for my problem?  I have an XPS 14z, which has been owned for a mere 10 months.  And well, yesterday I went ahead and formatted and re-installed the Windows 7 64-bit Operating System.  It seemed to install fine and booted to the desktop.  I then had to leave the house to run some errands, so I shut the laptop down.  When I came back, I went to turn on my laptop.  The Dell screen popped up, but then right after appeared a black screen reading "Operating System Missing".  And well, I have been at it trying to fix this issue all day long!  I have already ran the diagnostic tests, and they all were passed.  So far I have tried the following to no avail:

1.) Booted Windows Disc --> reinstalled Windows = Same Problem

2.) Booted Windows Disc --> "Repair Your Computer" --> "Command Prompt" --> after "X:\Sources>" typed in "bootrec /FixMBR" and "bootrec /FixBoot" = Both said successful, restarted, only to run into same problem

3.) "Command Prompt" --> after "X:\Sources>" typed in "chkdsk d: /f/r" = "failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50"

4.) "Command Prompt" --> after "X:\Sources>" typed in "bootrec /rebuildbcd" = "Successfully scanned Windows installations. Total identified Windows installations: 0 The operation completed successfully."

I honestly have no idea what to do at this point?  Any ideas out there?  Thanks in advance!

• 

3.3K Posts

February 23rd, 2013 19:00

Hi AngryVillain,

Thank you for providing the issue in detail. I suggest that you run diagnostics on the hardware components of the system along with custom test on the memory and HDD.

I suggest that you to run diagnostics.  To run diagnostics restart the system and at the Dell logo tap the F12 key every two seconds. This will start the One-time boot menu. Using arrow keys select ‘Diagnostics’ and hit enter. This will run diagnostics on the hardware components of the system which may take around 5 minutes.  Next Press Y for no when it asks you to continue Memory test.

Next the option listed will be: ‘Test Memory’, ‘Test System’ and Exit. Please select ‘Test System’.  Then there will be option to run ‘Express test’, ‘Extended Test’, ‘Custom Test’ and ‘Symptom Tree’. Select Custom test and click on ‘HDD’ and hit enter.  The custom test on memory and HDD will take while.

Reply with the status of the test for further assistance.

http://dell.to/OUGnqT

You may also go through this link for further assistance.

“To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/QjjZDA ".

February 24th, 2013 19:00

Alright did the diagnostic test, it says that all the tests were passed.  Green check marks appeared to the left of all the icons listed on the screen.  Under the "Event Log" tab, the "Event Data" listed "Pass PSA V4213 ePSA extended test pass".  I had stated in my original post that I had already ran a diagnostic test, but I decided to do it again to state the exact results.

I am really confused on why I'm still getting the "Operating system missing" screen if the diagnostic tests are a pass each time?  Does anyone have another approach I can take (other than the ones I have listed!)?

• 

3.3K Posts

February 26th, 2013 01:00

Hi AngryVillain,

I appreciate your patience for the steps tried.  Please send me a private message with the system service tag to assist you further.  Please click on my name and click Start Conversation to send me a private message.

• 

3.3K Posts

February 28th, 2013 21:00

Hi AngryVillain,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to my private message. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

No Events found!