Ntx
1 Nickel

RE: "The AC adapter and battery must be plugged in before the system bios can be flashed"

Jump to solution

The solution was simple:-
First download the BIOS update, to a folder that you can remember easily or to your desktop, for example mine was D620_A10.EXE and it was located on the desktop.
Next type cmd in run and press enter,
then at the prompt type cd desktop , you should then see something like this C:\Documents and settings\rob\desktop
now type in the folder name of where the update is located, or if its on the desktop simply type in D620_A10.EXE <--- where that is the name of your bios update now if you were to press enter it would bring up the dialogue saying "The AC adapter and Battery must both be connected, before flashing the BIOS" so here s the great bit, simply type /forceit after the .exe with a space and sit back and watch the update!!
example C:\Documents and settings\rob\desktop>D620_A10.EXE /forceit

Font.: club.myce.com/.../how-update-bios-dell-laptops-without-battery-260714

joealmonte
1 Copper

RE: "The AC adapter and battery must be plugged in before the system bios can be flashed"

Jump to solution

Posted by

SUCCESS AT LAST!!!!!!

Using this tutorial I was finally able to make a workable usb boot disk.  Then copied Bios A09 to the root of the flash drive.

Then restarted and from the cmd prompt I ran "1530_A09.exe /forceit" 

The bios flashing was uneventful and upon restarting the battery started charging again.  

Good luck to the rest of you guys.

***BE VERY PATIENT ONCE YOU INITIATE THE FLASH (IT CAN TAKE UP TO 15 MINUTES). YOUR LAPTOP WILL EVENTUALLY RESTART TO WINDOWS.*** 

laopaishpe
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Next time take time to read the question and refrain from "solving" the issue stating the obvious.

PS: Another trick may be (I have not verified it yet, but may, as I got a Dell laptop w/out a battry) to try to unpack the BIOS exe (by executing it in linux under DOSEMU for example) and once you ar eable to unpack the binary flash BIOS file and the flashing utility, to use those (from a FREEDOS CD/diskette) top try directly to flash the binary - this is what worked for my for a Dell Vostro desktop system.

0 Kudos
Chrisadell
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I have the same problem and I can't buy a replacement battery on Amazon or ebay because they are not shippable by plane anymore. So, there is no way to get a new battery, and with the old one in place, my laptop doesn't start at all.

How about Dell produces better batteries, mine worked about 6 months!

I cant use a boot USB drive, cuze my laptop freezes when connecting a pen drive.

That's why I want to update my Bios.

The Dell engineers haven't thought of a solution to update the Bios without a battery? Seems pretty weird!

This my first Dell, and I thought it was quality, but I get problems over problems, while i always use my very old Acer, I updated form win7 to win8 and now to windows 10, and all the hardware updates fly in automatically, and never had a driver or bios update problem. And only my second battery in many years!! Why everything with Dell is soo complicated? Not to mention they first lost my laptop at delivery, shipping to a completely wrong address...

Any easy to perform way to update the Bios? Thanks a lot!!

0 Kudos