Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 6th, 2009 14:00

"The service tag is not valid"

I purchased a Dell Studio 1555 laptop from Dell online in the UK on the 1st of July, and when registering for the Windows 7 Upgrade Program, it states that it is not eligible. On checking the Dell Customer Support website, it states that my service tag is not valid. I have checked on the Laptop, the box that it came in, and the BIOS, and this is indeed the correct service tag.

I cannot find any way of contacting Technical Support which does not require the Service Tag, other than an expensive phone line, which I would prefer not to use unless really necessary.

How do I go about validating this service tag?

12 Posts

August 6th, 2009 22:00

Mine as well.

I bought my Vostro 1520 online in the UK and somehow the product manufactured in China.

Trying to register the service tag, but the message says something like 'the product was made outside UK & Ireland'.

10 Posts

August 7th, 2009 15:00

I am in the same situation and purchased my 1555 the day before you.

I think the only way is to try and telephone them.  If you have alook on

http://www.saynoto0870.com/

And search for dell, you might be able to find the normal phone number as opposed to the expensive one :emotion-5:

42 Posts

August 8th, 2009 10:00

The plot thickens!

Type the service tage into the 'chat to Dell Technical Support' page and the message you get back is:

Our records indicate that your service tag belongs to a system that was purchased outside of the United Kingdom and Ireland.

I can assure Dell that it was not! Have we got a case here where people who bought Dells in the Sale are actually receiving re-sold laptops despite the fact that we bought them from the Dell website? Is this why our delivery originated in China??!

42 Posts

August 8th, 2009 10:00

:emotion-7:Yes - me too :emotion-6:

My wife bought a 1555 two weeks ago which arrived on Thursday.

The service tag on this one too is 'not recognised'.

However, if you use the page on the dell website where you can search for Service Tag based on order number:

This also returns an error stating:

The System Finder tool is currently experiencing a problem. Please try again later.

So it's not just the Service Tag that is not being found, it's also the order number. Her Customer Number reports as invalid altogether :emotion-7:

Either there is a general system failure at Dell at the moment, or they have mis-handled a whole bunch of orders from the recent sale.

This is quite serious as my wife can't register for her Windows 7 upgrade until she has a valid Service Tag.......

42 Posts

August 10th, 2009 15:00

Solved - at least partly.

Phoned Dell today and they activated the service tag and I have been able to register on the Dell Win 7 Upgrade Website.

However, now I am having problems entering our delivery address as the website does not accept our UK Postcode as valid :emotion-9:

4 Posts

August 10th, 2009 16:00

I'm having this same problem! does anyone know the reason why it's not even been updated by Dell at all? has there even been word from Dell about this mass problem?

August 11th, 2009 21:00

I had the same problem too.

It takes Dell 4 to 5 days before they enter your service tag (after Delivery) on the Dell database

Michael

I am a UK customer

1 Message

August 19th, 2009 12:00

I'm having exactly the same problems. UK customer, originally ordered the laptop on 2nd July and received it a week later.

I received an email about the Windows7 upgrade program, went to register and it wouldn't accept my service tag.

When I tried the "Contact Us" form for help, the reply I got was "Read the FAQ" (useless) or "contact customer service" on either support.dell.com or a US phone number .

I'm awaiting a reply from them.

2 Posts

August 21st, 2009 05:00

Where did you e-mail them? (What address)

7 Posts

August 21st, 2009 05:00

Here's a success story:

Ordered 2nd Jul

Product: Inspiron 1545

I emailed them yesterday about my service tag not registering the for upgrade and they replied the next day with the following:

Dear V S,

Thank you for contacting Dell Online Customer Care.

I apologize as you are unable to register for windows 7 free upgrade. However, we have made the service tag # (my service tag) eligible for the windows 7 free upgrade now. I would request you to register the service tag at: http://www.dell.com/windows7. Still if you have any issues in registering, please contact us.

Sincerely,

S R

Tried again afterwards and I'm now registered.

Thanks Dell :emotion-1:

7 Posts

August 21st, 2009 06:00

UKI_TS_Inspiron_Support@dell.com but it looks like this one is specific to inspiron laptops. Sending them an email through the online customer care from will do the trick.

6 Posts

September 3rd, 2009 08:00

I have Vostro 1520 and i have exact same problem . The real problem is when your service tag does not accepted , you may not contact support !! :emotion-6:

6 Posts

September 4th, 2009 08:00

Do you know the email address of Vostro support team ? i have changed UKI_TS_Inspiron_Support@dell.com to UKI_TS_Vostro_Support@dell.com but it was not correct :emotion-4:  . please send if you know that email .

10 Posts

September 4th, 2009 08:00

Eventually emailed customer service, and they sorted it the following day.

Service tag is now active on the tech support and win7 upgrade pages.

September 4th, 2009 11:00

Yep I have the same problem but without a valid service tag how do you contact customer service? What email address did you use? Thanks

No Events found!