Highlighted
Niki_tha
1 Copper

"Your battery has expired permanent failure and needs to be replaced"

I have Dell inspiron series Intel core i3 processor. Till morning my laptop was working fine but after sometime when I checked on the led at it was blinking red indicating failure of battery status. During all this time my charger was connected to my laptop. When I removed my charger my system shut down and when I again plugged my charger and started it it is showing "Your battery has expired permanent failure and needs to be replaced press F1 to continue or something and Press F2 system setup"

I pressed F1 and continued it bt the reed blinking didn't go.

Any suggestions before going to replacement of the battery? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dell-Vijay A
2 Bronze

RE: "Your battery has expired permanent failure and needs to be replaced"

Hi NIKI_THA,

Go to BIOS by pressing F2 and provide me the battery status.

Is AC Adapter LED is on when connected?

Have you tried a different adapter?

Kindly run the diagnostics by pressing F12 and let me know the results.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

Dell-Vijay A
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos
Drivers and Downloads
Driver order

0 Kudos
Mary G
5 Iridium

RE: "Your battery has expired permanent failure and needs to be replaced"

Even with the adapter connected the battery can wear out after about 2-4 yrs of use. Try removing the battery and use the adapter alone. If that works use it as a desktop replacement until you can buy a new laptop. Batteries need to be Dell replacement batteries and can be expensive and difficult to get depending on model and age. It is not worth spending a lot of money on an older laptop. It is better to buy a new computer.

www.dell.com/.../inspiron laptops

0 Kudos