Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

143 Posts

February 17th, 2004 19:00

re: Video Upgrades Finally Offered On the New Inspiron XPS

in other words, Dell wants you to buy a new laptop! which i kinda figured would happen. forget about existing owners and offer this option only to people willing to spend $3000+ on a mobile desktop replacement.

Message Edited by psybersyde on 02-17-2004 03:41 PM

19 Posts

February 17th, 2004 19:00

our concern was upgrades for the models you already had out before the xps, so that we wouldnt have to go and buy a whole new system.  the idea of buying a new one (the xps) totally ignores the whole concept behind our idea.

143 Posts

February 17th, 2004 20:00

why do you think mikeb locked the message? he didn't want us to complain! lol . Seriously though, it definately looks like Dell will only offer video upgrade options if you pay $3000+ for their latest gaming notebook and forget the rest of us who originally thought we could or would be able to upgrade to something better later on down the road. but hey, you can't blame dell for this. just blame yourself for being naive enough to think dell would go back to older tech and actually want to sell video upgrades for it.

28 Posts

February 17th, 2004 20:00

My interpretation of what I've read about this upgrade program of theirs, is that they will only offer a graphics card one level up from the Radeon 9700. It says nothing about being able to upgrade the graphics card multiple times - just once. It even says once the new card is out, all the XPS's will ship with that card. It mentions nothing about upgrading those systems. 

There is as far as I can tell no difference between what they have guaranteed they will do with the XPS and what can already be done on for example the 8600. People who bought the GeforceFX 5650 can already upgrade one level up to the Radeon 9600, whlie those who have bought their computer more recently already have it.

143 Posts

February 17th, 2004 21:00

@julian_wan69 wrote:

My interpretation of what I've read about this upgrade program of theirs, is that they will only offer a graphics card one level up from the Radeon 9700. It says nothing about being able to upgrade the graphics card multiple times - just once. It even says once the new card is out, all the XPS's will ship with that card. It mentions nothing about upgrading those systems. 

There is as far as I can tell no difference between what they have guaranteed they will do with the XPS and what can already be done on for example the 8600. People who bought the GeforceFX 5650 can already upgrade one level up to the Radeon 9600, whlie those who have bought their computer more recently already have it.

the difference here is that the customer does NOT install the video card themselves, the cust pays for the onsite install along with the card and its supported by the wonder Dell tech support. and it is only 1 step up, it cannot be done multiple times.

Message Edited by psybersyde on 02-17-2004 05:10 PM

34 Posts

February 18th, 2004 01:00

What Dell saw was a high demand for video upgrades . They totally ignored and rejected to the idea of having video upgrade for our older/currrent Inspiron 8xxx. So with the high demands for video upgrades Dell Responed with releasing the Inspiron XPS which has video upgrades (which im all for), but $3000 Dollars I believe Alienware's Area 51-M Extereme doesnt cost that much, and it has better or same specs than the Inspiron XPS. The Design is just horrible, basiclly the same design of the D800 but with 20Ib of plastic added. We will have to see but no doubt that it will being a high performance desktop replacement, as for the cost i will just have to head over Alienware And leave Dell in the sand hole.-Michael

130 Posts

February 18th, 2004 07:00

The Alienware looks better and weighs less (still 3.4KG mind...). For now I still think my 8500 is good and if I can pop a 9600 in it will be with me for some time.

However, if I was choosing again now between the Alienware & XPS then there would be no indecision - Alienware would get my cash.

155 Posts

February 18th, 2004 13:00

Well there is no dobt here that dell kinda got lost on this one. Let me see, Alienware is a gaming specific retailer that offers a module do it yoursel upgrade option for about 1k less the dell, then there is VoodooPC and other boutique places that offer upgradeable video optins similar to dell for only about 300-500 more then dell, Not to mention when you get a laptop from a boutique company you generally have a nice paintjob or someother goodies with it. I don't see how they can figure they are going to win this fight.

The fact dell isn't offering upgrades for older technology doesn't completely bother me. There is a point were that extra video power is lost because the system just can't keep up if it is to old. My 8100 is a good example of that. The increase i would of recieved with my ATI 9000 was half of what it could be if i had a decent P4 based 8200. The system just can't get all out of the card. But they are trying to ignore the new laptops just sent out within the last year is crazy. And there concept of upgradeablity is kinda stupid. Basically they aren't doing anything different, just making you pay 1k more to have the option to have someone come out and do the upgrade when they decide to provide it for that system. I also have to wonder what the cost of the video card is going to be to upgrade. I have to wonder if it is gonig to be like 200+ because it is being sold as an upgrade instead of spareparts. The upgrade procedure is the exact same as if i was to replace my ati 9600 Pro Turbo with a ATI9700. So why should i pay an extra 1000 just for dell to do it.

143 Posts

February 18th, 2004 15:00

i think im gonna go with alienware the next time around on my laptop. i like the user accessable video upgrade option. even if i have to pay more money for it. dell needs to follow suit this way and make the video card customer accessible.

102 Posts

February 18th, 2004 15:00

Sure I'd like an Ati 9700 upgrade for my i8200, but let's look at this in a positive fashion shall we, at least we know we'll be getting upgrades on future models. That's much better than no upgrades at all. So we're at least going into the right direction.

102 Posts

February 18th, 2004 19:00

Has anyone considered Sagers?

They are very reasonably priced and from the reviews I read from users (check it out at www.notebookforums.com ) the quality is pretty decent.

They are heavy beasts, theres no doubt about it, but after owning my 8+ pound 5150, an extra 2-3 pounds really isn't that big a deal, esp. if you have a bag and your not under arming your notebook everywhere you go.

7 Posts

April 18th, 2004 00:00

I was in the same boat as many of you guys...  I looked at the alienware and the xps and found the prices fairly similar (canadian).  The only thing I wanted over my current inspiron 8200 was a video card upgradeable by myself every couple years.  I found the web based information kind of vague on the subject of user upgrades on the xps, however the alienware is very open about how to do it yourself.  To end the debate for myself I called Dell and asked for a rep. who is knowledgeable about the inspiron xps system.  The dude I talked to told me that the xps video card is completely upgradeable by the owner, and as long as the instructions are followed properly it will not affect your warranty.  He informed me that in two years or whenever I want one, they will send me a new card and I can just pop it in myself.  The sales rep. (David, ext. 5317) even offered me a better deal than I could build on the website so I went ahead and purchased the xps then and there.  All done and done it was $1000 cheaper(canadian money) than a similar alienware (the dell has a better screen and video card).  Now as long as Dell representatives are not lying to customers to make sales, I should be able to keep this xps updated and current for many years with no hassle.  If I find that I was mislead in any way about the user upgradeable nature of the xps, then I will go as far to the top as necessary to get what I was guaranteed by a Dell employee. ;)   

102 Posts

April 18th, 2004 01:00

Hi JetB

I don't mean to scare you or rain or your parade but it is my understanding that Dell will only give you one upgrade after you purchase your XPS.

I might have misunderstood but I don't know how that would be?

I am in the market myself and am seriously considering an alienware or maybe up the ante and go for a voodoo notebook. That was the deal breaker for me in considering an XPS. I want to be able to upgrade as much as I need to and having just the one upgrade is not fair in my book to warrant such a premium over the 9100's.

Keep us updated on your XPS and if I misunderstood please correct what I said. I hope I'm wrong because I really like Dell and frankly they are the cheapest by a huge margin.

Later dude.

7 Posts

April 18th, 2004 15:00

I completely understand what you are talking about.  If one was to read all the info available on the dell site, one would get the impression that dell will not support you if you want to replace your video card yourself or if you want to do it a year or two from now.  I am now convinced that where dell service is concerned it depends more on who you end up talking to than what the website says.  As long as they still make a display adapter with the form to fit in the xps every year, I am sure you could keep calling until you get someone who will support you.  If the Alienware was closer to the same price and had the same resolution screen and the same 9700 card not the 9600, then I most likely would have went alien...  They are the only manufacturer that is open and informative about the user upgradeable nature of their notebooks.  I hope dell will follow suit and be more informative and supportive of their customers who just want to get more than one year of top of the line gaming out of a $4000 notebook investment.
No Events found!