Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 1st, 2010 00:00

recording using inspiron 1410

i m using inspiron 1410. is microphone only device for recording on my 1410? how can i get stereo recording for my 1410?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 1st, 2010 05:00

Do you mean recording from an external device like a stereo receiver, phonograph, cassette player or mp3 player? Most of the Dell laptops have audio systems made by Sigmatel or IDT. On those systems the mic jack doubles as a stereo line-in jack for connecting such devices.

Your model is unusual in that it has Conexant audio hardware. I am not familiar with the capabilities of that specific configuration. I suggest that you connect a stereo music player to the input jack and record some music that is clearly in stereo. Record the music and when you play it back if it is still in stereo you are good to go.

If you get unsatisfactory results then you might have to get an external sound card that has a line-in jack.

4 Posts

January 1st, 2010 06:00

thanks for your the response and support..

what i mean is, when i play an audio, my sound recorder on my 1410 can record the audio on same time.

for example, i play a speech at Youtube or other web and the same time i can record the audio from the youtube and save it as audio file without using the mic.

for now, i just plug the mic in to the jack and make a record but the quality is bad. 

so, any suggestion for sigmatel or idt driver that compatible for my 1410. 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 1st, 2010 07:00

I understand, you want to record streaming audio. At one time the Dell laptops could do it. On the recording control panel where you select which input source to use, there was one called "stereo mix". On other brands of computers it was called "wave out", "whatyouhear" and other names. As time went by Dell started limiting that feature. The last Dell laptops that had it as far as I know had Sigmatel audio and XP operating system. Even on the models that had stereo mix in XP they did not have it if they switched to Vista. I don't think any current Dell models have it, but I am not familiar with the features of your Conexant. If the only recording sources you have available are mic and/or line-in, then you cannot internally record streaming audio. You can externally record it by connecting a cable from the output jack to the input jack, or by getting an external sound card that has this feature. Most Sound Blaster cards can do it but you would need to research to make sure they would work with whatever operating system you have. There is also some software that claims to be able to record streaming audio but I do not personally know if those work.

4 Posts

January 1st, 2010 19:00

ok. thank for suggestion....:emotion-1:

No Events found!