Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 13th, 2010 10:00

replaced lcd screen goes blank when insert power cable

I just recently replaced my LCD screen on my Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop and it works fine on the battery alone but whenever I plug in the power cable to charge on mains, the screen instantly goes blank (and it makes no difference if the battery has been removed or not). I had a Samsung WXSGA+ originally and now I've replaced it with a different LCD screen (no brand) - same resolution.

I've found that if I go into suspend mode and remove the power cable and then resume, the display will be fine on battery but never will it display once the power cable is inserted.

I'm running Windows XP and I've removed the Monitor's from the Device Manager and restarted (in an attempt to update the drivers) but to no avail. It seems to be either a driver problem or I broke something to do with distributing power on the reinstall.

Can anyone help with ideas?

May 13th, 2010 12:00

No the new screen didn't come with an inverter so I just used the old one (this is all new to me anyway). I also had to get a bit physical with removing the inverter due to a screw being stuck and fear I may have damaged it. BUT if the inverter was damaged the screen wouldn't display at all right? (and it works fine on battery power)

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Did you change the inverter with the screen?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Not necessarily -- though it's sounding more like a mainboard fault, it could still be the inverter -- which is a fraction of the cost of the former, so I'd try replacing that first.

What were the symptoms that led you to believe the screen was faulty?

May 13th, 2010 13:00

Not necessarily -- though it's sounding more like a mainboard fault, it could still be the inverter -- which is a fraction of the cost of the former, so I'd try replacing that first.

Thanks for that and I'll definitely try out a new inverter.

What were the symptoms that led you to believe the screen was faulty?

errhh ... I stepped on it :emotion-10:

No Events found!