Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

July 26th, 2009 09:00

screen goes black after start "sometimes"

inspiron 8600 2GB xp homevz broadband SP3

Purchased new in late 2004.

Problem started yesterday.  I go online do some email searching or checking things on google or Yahoo or going to Expression web and then all of a sudden screen goes black.  Not blue.  Black.

I shut off computer using on/off button then like 10 seconds later start it up again and and it happens again.  So far never more than 3 tries and this time as I write it is working as it always has just fine..

Oh.  I don't use battery. I removed battery a year ago and just use power supply connected in back.

Don't know what else to tell you.  Oh I did do a spybot check.  I also run avast.  I have 26Gig used and 26 available and try to keep start up a minimum. 

I did look for error messages and found something about MCSTRM not being found at start lots of times and way more than times screen went black though on same days it went black which is yesterday and today and I don't use Real Player.

Help?

67 Posts

July 27th, 2009 08:00

Its very common, after opening and closing the screen lid many thousands of times the wires will kind of move appart, simply opening it up, securing and closing it back us solves the problem!.

But, I would keep the inverter leying around.

Remember the wires are made out of metal and you did keep flexing them, so its worth keeping around.

I Will be very happy to know that your maintnence fixes the problem, keep us informed and tell us tomorow if you do not have any more problems!.

Just in case, I found this - Did you see this part when you opened up your computer?

Thats one more thing I found but these break seldom, lights like to burn out far more often.

The backlight should to look like like a bulb on a wire, have never seen the original for your laptop thought.

64 Posts

July 27th, 2009 08:00

That's an inverter. 

It's attached to bottom of screen.  I can see it now, as I have not reattached frame. 

I removed it from frame last night thinking backlight was under frame channel.  And yes I was certain not to touch it. 

Oh and I am still on same session.

thanks.  I'll let you know and who knows I might have backlight I won't need.

19 Posts

June 4th, 2010 18:00

Hi:

I was wondering if replacing the back light took care of the problem?

I have an inspiron 9100 and it just started doing the same thing yours was.

Thanks and have a great day !

1 Message

June 11th, 2010 16:00

Sorry it took so long to reply I had to cancel my old ID for this new one.

All I did was remove screen bezel, put it on a Pizza box and painted it with Rust-Oleum textured plastic black spray.  Removed and reinserted all connectors and it worked and is still working.  I did purchase a back light I never used thinking screen might go out again but never did.

You could try what I tried.  One other important thought. 

remove battery or power supply before playing around with any connectors

No Events found!