Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 05-30-2017 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

sound blaster recon 3di control panel not working after w10 update

when i open the control panel for sound blaster it says some components are missing please reinstall application and also no i cant use headphones it wont recognize them, everything worked fine till i updated please help

Replies (50)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I had the same issue... The Creative support site says the updated W10 driver for the Sound Blaster Recon 3D series will be ready by August.

support.creative.com/.../ShowArticle.aspx

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hello,

I had a very similar problem with mine. You are not alone. I managed to fix my sound blaster recon 3di, so I will try to walk you through fixing yours:

1. Uninstall the sound blaster recon 3di software from your computer through "add/remove programs" equivalent on windows 10. Simply open control panel, click "uninstall a program" on the bottom left", click on "sound blaster recon 3di", and click on uninstall. A restart will be required to complete the uninstall, so go ahead and restart when it asks you to.

2. After you reboot, open device manager by clicking control panel > hardware and sound > device manager. Double click on "sound, video, and game controllers". Select the sound blaster recon 3di, right click on it, and select "update driver software...". This WILL NOT install soundblaster software. This will replace it with a generic sound controller. This is to ensure soundblaster is comletely removed from your PC. Don't worry - Soundblaster is coming back very soon. After it finishes updating, click on your speaker icon in the lower right corner. It should say "speakers (high definition audio device)", or something similar. If so, we are almost done!

3. Find the drivers for your sound blaster recon 3di on the web. If you have an Alienware laptop like I do, then simply typing "dell alienware ____ drivers", where the ____ is your alienware model, should link you to the dell drivers download page where you can select drivers to download. For example, I have an m18xr2 Alienware, so I would type "dell alienware m18xr2 drivers" into the search.

4. Under the "Audio" tab, you should see a creative labs file for download. Creative labs = soundblaster. If you find this file, then you will be able to reinstall your soundblaster recon 3di control panel. Simple download that file and install it. A restart may be required after the install, so restart if necessary. During the install, pay attention to your speaker icon in the lower right corner. Does it go from normal to having an X through it to back to normal? If it does, that means a new sound controller is being installed. That new sound controller just so happens to be soundblaster recon 3di.

5. After you reboot, search "sound" in the search box in the lower left. Sound blaster should appear. Click on it and see if it opens. It may take a few seconds longer than usual to open, as it was just installed. If all goes well, it will open and you will be greeted with the familiar set of sliders and tabs on the left.

Note: unfortunately, your profiles will be gone. So if you set up custom settings for your equalizer or other sliders, you will have to re-add them manually. At least you'll have sound blaster back, though!

Hope this helps you and any others seeking help on this issue. Good luck everyone!

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

you mean which one, can you show me ?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

you meant which one, can you show me ?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I do not know which computer model you have nor if the driver depends on the model. However, try downloading and installing this driver:

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails;fileId=2946387318&osCode=W764&productCode=alienware-m18x-r2&languageCode=EN&categoryId=AU

Like I said, I do not know which computer model you have. This driver is supported by Alienware M14XR2, M17XR2, and M18Xr2.

Be sure to follow the uninstalling steps I provided, or else the install will not work!

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Already tried all that and its a alienware 17r2 had to roll back 2 windows 8.1 and now my sound card and control menu work just fine also windows 10 kept making my pc crash so

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Thank You Unit. You saved my laptop from destruction. You are awesome! 

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

this fix WORKS!!!!! OMG Thank you SOOOO much!!!! Five Stars!

3 Argentum

@Aiden Dark

@Unit745

None of those suggestions helped - I have an Alienware 18 and I think the Recon3Di is an entirely different product to the Recon3D PCIe, as I can't seem to get the system to detect it since I upgraded to Windows 10.  There's not even a mention of it on the Creative website!

I suspect I will be contacting Creative directly for the issue.

Community Rockstar
I answer questions here, but am not a Dell employee

Sr. Product Engineer |
Rushboard Technologies
Top Contributor
Latest Solutions