Highlighted
2 Bronze

stacsv.exe running all the time

I have the Precision M4400 and I downloaded  the 6.10.0.6087 A04 IDT sound drivers. Now I notice that now there is a process stacsv.exe that runs 50% all the time.  Have to reboot to get stop it.  In the end I rolled back my drivers.

Does anyone experience this problem?

Running Vista Business 32bit.

0 Kudos
89 Replies
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: stacsv.exe running all the time

I have the Precision M4400 and I downloaded  the 6.10.0.6087 A04 IDT sound drivers. Now I notice that now there is a process stacsv.exe that runs 50% all the time.  Have to reboot to get stop it.  In the end I rolled back my drivers.

Does anyone experience this problem?

Running Vista Business 32bit.

I have the same problem and can not roll back ... roll back is not avaliable.  Help Please.

DWL50

Highlighted
2 Bronze

I am also having the same issue on a new Dell Latitude E6500.  I'm running Vista Ultimate 64-bit, so my process name is actually stacsv64.exe.  This seems to rule out anything specific to the 32-bit or 64-bit versions of Windows and/or the driver.

Using Microsoft's / Sysinternal's Process Explorer, I found that there is one thread in particular that is apparently "hung":  "ADVAPI32.dll!SetServiceStatus+0x100".

I have a screenshot of the "Threads" tab that shows this, as well as a screenshot of the Thread's stack, and the Image properties tab.  Unfortunately, the Dell forums are still quite broken and won't allow me to upload them here.  After 3(!) more chat sessions, I finally obtained an email address for Dell support where I've sent them along with these details and a link to this thread.

This has happened several times already on my clean install of Windows.  There doesn't seem to be anything in particular that triggers it.

This is a somewhat urgent issue.  As it pegs the CPU, this effectively slows down the system much like a virus or other malware.  The only reason it appears to only use 50% is that the problem is limited to one thread, which means one CPU.  Like me, most of you are probably seeing this on a dual-core system, so at least the other CPU remains unaffected.

The hung CPU causes the system to significantly heat up, waste power, and potentially drain the battery at an excessive rate.

The last time I noticed this happen was when checking my laptop in the morning, after it ran overnight for 7+ hours, consuming over 78 trillion CPU cycles.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for reporting this problem. We are looking into it  now.

I wonder if replacing ADVAPI32.dll with a new copy or restoring a previous version would  have any effect on the symptoms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I reinstalled the previous version  ie. 6.10.0.6033 from the website.  I have had no recurrence of the problem since.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I wonder if replacing ADVAPI32.dll with a new copy or restoring a previous version would  have any effect on the symptoms.

ADVAPI32.dll is a Windows .dll, and is most likely "protected".  The problem is most likely not in that file, but the program that is calling it.  As shown in the stack trace that I emailed to your support department, the stack trace shows this to be STacSV64.exe.

If the problem was in ADVAPI32.dll, this would most likely be affecting a majority of Windows users - not just Dell users using the A04 driver.

As "cruisetown" just mentioned, reverting the Dell driver to a previous version seems to fix this, so it is clearly an issue with the A04 driver - one that should be fixed with an A05, etc. updated driver release.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I had the same problem on my Precision M6400 with Vista Ultimate 64-bit (driver name was stacsv64.exe).

The problem was with the A04 drivers. I just installed the old A01 drivers and the problem went away.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Same problem here. A04 always running on >50% on E6400. Hope Problem can be fixed soon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have been chasing a problem with the Latitude E4300 with very frequent disk access (every 0.5-1.5 seconds) resulting in irritating noise and LED flicker. I installed process monitor and find most likely culprit is stacsv.exe which seems to be problem indicated on this thread. Is there any solution ? Im running A03 bios, XP and otherwise fairly standard install. Or should one try new Audio Driver installation?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have a Precision M4400 running Vista 32 bit that exhibits the stacsv.exe problem.  It has been doing it ever since I upgraded to the A04 driver to reduce audio stuttering.  While the machine does not stutter as much, the stacsv.exe process does eat into the CPU now and then.  It does not appear to do frequent disk access however.

The A02 version did not exhibit this problem, but it appeared to cause more audio stuttering.

For now, I'll live with the CPU overhead, but It needs to be fixed sooner or later.

I did have a  problem with frequent disk accesses.  That was caused by the security software.  There is a thread on the net called "Trusted Drive Manager Warning filling up Event Viewer " that gives a solution to that problem.

More generically speaking, look at your event log to see if there are frequent entries.

John J