Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

19 Posts

November 29th, 2008 06:00

stacsv.exe running all the time

I have the Precision M4400 and I downloaded  the 6.10.0.6087 A04 IDT sound drivers. Now I notice that now there is a process stacsv.exe that runs 50% all the time.  Have to reboot to get stop it.  In the end I rolled back my drivers.

Does anyone experience this problem?

Running Vista Business 32bit.

8 Posts

December 19th, 2008 13:00

So far, so good for me, regarding the CPU usage issue.

I'm still getting DPC spikes.  They may be less, but they're definitely still there.

15 Posts

December 19th, 2008 14:00

I installed the A05 driver, and the CPU usage problem seems to be fixed for me (I'm running 64-bit Vista on my Precision M6400 Covet).

I also ran DPC latency checker and the maximum latency I ever saw was 823 µs (the average was around 250 µs).

19 Posts

December 21st, 2008 06:00

Installed the patch.  SO far so good. No CPU problem/  Have not run the DPC checker

20 Posts

December 22nd, 2008 08:00

While I have not seen the CPU problem since the A05 IDT drivers, the DPC problem still exists. (M4400, Vista 32 Bit)

I have also put on the latest A11 BIOS and the A07 security drivers.  This did reduce the DPC spikes, but they are still in the unacceptable range.

An update a day keeps me busy and hoping for a complete fix.  This machine is too expensive to waste.

JJJ

8 Posts

December 22nd, 2008 10:00

An update a day keeps me busy and hoping for a complete fix.  This machine is too expensive to waste.

JJJ

Have you also opened a support request with Dell?  If not, please do.  I already have.  Hopefully they have some sort of tracking in place, so that the more of us that call-in, the faster they'll fix it.  I would guess this would be more effective than continued forum posts...

20 Posts

December 23rd, 2008 05:00

ziesemer,

No, I have not called it in, and yes, I should.  It is not likely to happen until after the new year.

I also admit that I'm not looking forward to explaining the internals of the windows kernel to a frontline support person.  As an engineer, I have to do that far too often.

I will give it a shot.

JJJ

11 Posts

January 28th, 2009 09:00

I just downloaded the A05 version 6.10.0.6124 from the Dell Support web site (posted in December) and so far no cpu spiking...

6 Posts

February 5th, 2009 06:00

I just purchased a new Studio XPS 1340... I have the same issue with 'stacv64.exe' and the 6.10.0.6104 driver.  There is no other available driver on the Dell website.  I have rolled back to 6.0.6000.16386... it is the only other option I have.

Can anyone recommend an alternative driver (and where I can get it) for the IDT 92HD73C1?

8 Posts

February 12th, 2009 10:00

Try not using the Dell / IDT drivers at all.  Windows' default driver seems to work better than any Dell / IDT driver released so far - at least under Vista.

There are some serious issues with even the A05 driver besides performance - including potential security issues.  I have an open support ticket open with Dell on this, but to no surprise, I haven't received any follow-ups yet.

16 Posts

February 12th, 2009 12:00

Got a new E6400 one week ago.

I didn't understand why I have preformance problem with it, but then I found this 50% CPU usage.

I recevie it with the A05 driver installed, so it doesn't seems to solve the problem.

Downgraded to A02, but the quality is not so good.

Upgraded back to A05, so far so good, but I don't see the stacsv.exe process at all. Maybe when it will show up it will take 50% cpu again.

Tried the windows driver, but the sound is not the same. Especially the IE click sound sounds too metalic for me.

2 Posts

February 17th, 2009 10:00

I have the Latitude E5400 which I got last month.  Running vista 32bit.  It's great for my work but I'm having the same problem with stacsv.exe.  It's running in the background, mopping up 49% of the processor power and causing hot blowing and battery wastage.  It's dual core, so stacsv wipes out half the machine.  It seems to start up all by itself, no pattern detected, but it's often there when I open up after a break without the machine having been shut down and restarted.  I have to go into task manager and end it manually and then it's okay for a bit, but sooner or later it gets going again.  I'm not able to discover easily whether this is an imortant item or whether I can safely delete it.  Is the problem not with the sigmatel audio driver but with some other process that calls for it unnecessarily?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 11th, 2009 08:00

A06 was web posted yesterday. Anybody installed it and checked for latency yet?

1 Message

March 27th, 2009 08:00

I installed it yesterday, but removed it immediately again because the audioplayback is just awfull. It got some dynamic volume control in it which makes every soundbit after a loud note (even bass) be decreased in volume. So it sounds like someone is twisting the volume all the time. Gives me a headache instantly.

Unfortunately I wasn't really able to revert to the 'normal' windows drivers, so now I ended up using the A05 again which drains my processor.....

So, one problem solved, other problem created....

7 Posts

April 15th, 2009 22:00

E6500 running 32 bit Vista. I have the same problem with the same process. I've been wanting to open a ticket with Dell on it but don't the time to sit on the phone with them right now to go over all the issues I have. I currently have A06 drivers installed. stacsv.exe runs at 50% of my cpu.

2 Posts

April 26th, 2009 11:00

Brand new studio xps 1340 running vista 32bit home premium. I have exactly the same problem: stacvs.exe runs at 50% of my CPU with dirver version A14. Can be stopped from task manager, but somehow it will pop up again after a while. I removed the service stacsv.exe from the ones that are called on startup, but then I was no longer able to use the HDMI audio out.I tried to roll back IDT drivers to the A11 version available on dell site, but the problem is still there. I have struggled with it all we, ending up uninstalling the ODT dirvers and using the good working windows ones. I have noticed, however, that in this way the embedded microphone which comes with the webcamera is no longer recognised as stereo.

I will open a tickey with dell tomorrow, but I guess that using the windows driver will be the only solution for the time being.

No Events found!