Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

19 Posts

November 29th, 2008 06:00

stacsv.exe running all the time

I have the Precision M4400 and I downloaded  the 6.10.0.6087 A04 IDT sound drivers. Now I notice that now there is a process stacsv.exe that runs 50% all the time.  Have to reboot to get stop it.  In the end I rolled back my drivers.

Does anyone experience this problem?

Running Vista Business 32bit.

71 Posts

May 2nd, 2010 18:00

p.s. Just wanted to clarify: By "disabling audio service" do they mean you would then have NO audio on your computer at all? If that's the case, then no, I don't like that "solution"!

However, since my IDT audio crashing does NOT affect the output of my audio nor any other problem that I am aware of, I am wondering if there's a way I can stop it from running and still have audio...?

I did try re-downloading the driver today, but as far as I can tell it's the same driver as before so I doubt that will help. What I don't get is if IDT and Dell are aware of this problem, why has there been no new driver for Vista 64bit since 09, when it is clear the 09 driver does not fix the problem(s).

14 Posts

May 2nd, 2010 20:00

p.s. Just wanted to clarify: By "disabling audio service" do they mean you would then have NO audio on your computer at all? If that's the case, then no, I don't like that "solution"!

However, since my IDT audio crashing does NOT affect the output of my audio nor any other problem that I am aware of, I am wondering if there's a way I can stop it from running and still have audio...?

I did try re-downloading the driver today, but as far as I can tell it's the same driver as before so I doubt that will help. What I don't get is if IDT and Dell are aware of this problem, why has there been no new driver for Vista 64bit since 09, when it is clear the 09 driver does not fix the problem(s).

@pdsnickles

Unfortunately, yes, I am speaking of disabling audio completely.  However, I believe at one point with one version of the driver, I simply removed the reg entry from: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

When I first discovered this issue, I contacted Dell Support.  They advised multiple times that they would not support the troubleshooting of driver issues being reported using 3rd party tools(ie...procmon, process explorer, etc).  I requesed they provide me an authorized troubleshooting tool but I received no reply.  I also had the issue escalated to Dell Engineering and received no replies.  I provided them an outline of specific configurations in which the issue existed and did not exist.  I have requested multiple times that someone from Dell Engineering contact me but I have yet to have that happen.

I cannot spend any more time on troubleshooting this for Dell.  If they do not have the time to reply to my concerns and the concerns of so many on this thread, then how can they expect their customers to do the same.

71 Posts

May 2nd, 2010 22:00

Hey Moe, thanks for the reply. I read your struggle above, to get it resolved, with interest. You were more than helpful to Dell and yet they just dropped the ball on you, it would seem. I guess disabling audio services will not work for me, then.

Funny thing is, I don't know if mine is causing constant processor use or not.  Is there a way to check without installing a program? I'm pretty savvy but not familiar with processor issues. Is there an easy way to check it?

I have asked Dell Forums to help solve this issue since Day 1 - for almost a year, on and off - and the best advice I have gotten is "Get a new sound card!" I guess that probably really is the EASIEST solution.

Admittedly I have not escalated it at Tech Support because as I mentioned here or in another thread on this, it's so frustrating to get past the "Re-Install Windows" newbies that usually take your call, and find someone who really knows computers and can troubleshoot the actual problem instead of taking the "shotgun" approach. I just irks me that Dell won't stand behind their product.

A search on the net revealed that tons of people are having issues with this sound device, and surely Dell knows that,  and yet I find no solutions.

I reinstalled the latest driver again today, maybe it will help this time?

You seem to know a lot about computers. Do you think the blue screen I got for the first time today might be caused by this, or not?

I checked to see what apps have failed recently and by far the one failing most often - regularly - was IDT audio. Firefox failed once or twice. Reget failed once. And ShowTime (Nero viewer) failed once. So I have to suspect the IDT device. What do you think? Other than the IDT failing regularly, my computer seems quite stable considering the amount of time I use it and the amount of different software I have on it. (I'm somewhat of a "power user" I'd say.) But a blue screen is not something I want to deal with more than once!

7.9K Posts

May 3rd, 2010 20:00

PDSnickles: 

You asked how to determine whether you had the high-cpu problem.  To check whether stacsv is eating too much CPU, you need to open task manager.  Right-click an empty area of the Task Bar and click Start Task Manager.  The stacsv service is run with administrative rights, so you'll need to click "show processes from all users" to be able to see it.  After you've done that, click the "processes" tab and sort by name.  You're looking for stacsv.exe or stacsv64.exe

You also asked how to disable to stacsv service.  To do this, you can click start, type services.msc in the search box, and run it.  Right-click the service (I believe it starts with audio) and click stop.  Right -click again and click properties.  Change its start-up type to disabled.  If you ever want to turn it back on, change the start up type back to automatic.  My apologies for not having the exact name, but I'm on my desktop right now.

Disabling the stacsv service will not disable audio completely.  Without the service running, however, you will lose some functionality.  When I tried it, changes I made to the IDT audio control panel (say changes to dolby or srs or the equalizer) would not stick and otherwise had no effect.  Likewise, the software is no longer able to tell what is plugged into your jacks (it will not for instance appropriately indicate the removal of headphones).

Sound appeared to work fine when I tried this.  Likewise, speakers and headphones would switch over appropriately (the software just did not properly display such status).

I didn't test this long term as I found a driver version without the problem (see above).  Others have also mentioned that you can temporarily resolve the problem by stoping and restarting the service whenever it starts to go crazy.  I had mixed results with this (as CPU use was always too high).  If it works for you, you could set up a task to restart the service at a given time interval.

71 Posts

May 9th, 2010 21:00

Hi, thanks for the info re stopping the audio service etc.

So far I have not had a failure since re-loading the Driver. I doubt the problem has really been solved, yet I do have my fingers crossed that it did.

If it fails again, next time I'll try stopping the service and report back...

14 Posts

May 9th, 2010 21:00

@ Everyone following this thread:

I was about to give up when I decided to approach this issue from a different angle...and just as I have always been taught....when you seek a resolution and are getting no response...well, go where the money goes!!

So, with that in mind, I have directed this issue to Microsoft since it is an issue that resides within their operating system enivronment. 

I have been told the issue has been directed to the MS PC OEM team who has the ability to work directly with Dell to resolve the issue.

For now, I will sit back and wait....and hope for the best.

71 Posts

May 10th, 2010 02:00

Hey Moeho that's good news. Though forgive me if I don't hold my breath while waiting for the answer.

I had to laugh a bit when I read this because I've been sending notes to MS for MONTHS about this problem, as a result of those periodic pop-ups I get from them about "We may have a solution to your problem." I finally started writing really nasty notes to them about it, like "I keep telling you - this driver you are recommending does NOT solve the problem!!"

Anyway, thanks for making contact with MS about it. I hope they finally do try to work with Dell to solve it. I've got my fingers crossed. So far since re-installed the latest driver, it has worked well. I can't imagine HOW installing the same thing I had already installed twice before could make a difference, but ....

3 Posts

March 9th, 2011 10:00

I am having the same issues with a Latitude E6400.  The Stacsv.exe for the IDT PC Audio is consuming one whole processor.  The only difference is that I am running Windows 7 32 bit, not vista.  Was a solution ever found for thie?

14 Posts

March 9th, 2011 11:00

I have yet to get any response from MS about this as well....seems as though everyone is looking to skirt this issue.

I will send a follow up to MS and ask if there has been any progress.  I wil, l also test with Win7 and provide those results as well, since sadly, most everything that questions or has issues with WinXP at this point is being ignored.

6 Posts

March 9th, 2011 19:00

I get the same problem with you. I have tried may times but there is always an error when it runs 50%. More curiously, I have a loptop of Degee, Operating System is Windows7. It's all right of the processing of stacsv.exe. What makes the differences?

Is the problem of Dell? I doubt it...

Does any one has the same experience and have fixed it out?

71 Posts

March 10th, 2011 13:00

I am using a desktop not laptop (XPS 430) but my solution, curiously enough, was found by re-loading the latest driver like 3 times. The first 2 times it did not help. For some reason the 3rd time it did. I don't know if I might have done something different the 3rd time in terms of options or ? All I know is that I have barely had a problem since the 3rd time.

I also wonder if it might be some other program that conflicts with it or causes it to go nuts. I have switched from using Media Monkey to iTunes for example. I wonder if this could be it. I also quit using Quintessential Media Player. I wonder if we all listed what audio players we're using if that could have an effect...? Just trying to think outside the box, here. Now that I use iTunes I have had no problems that I recall with IDT PC Audio (STACS). Or like I say, maybe there was something different about the 3rd install that "took" finally. Wish I could give a sure answer, all I know is that mine (thank goodness) has quit crashing, or crashes very infrequently now. And I checked my processes and there is no processor issue.

I do think this is a very good example though of how Dell would not do anything to help resolve this problem and in the face of evidence they just said "Oh, your testing program doesn't count!"

I will now think twice before buying another Dell.

6 Posts

March 10th, 2011 17:00

Very thanks for your suggestion!!! I will try to quit some media player programs or some media player applications ( I use media monkey too...:emotion-6:) If the problem can be sovled, it appears that some media programs conflict with it. As my Mini laptop of Degee is new and I have not installed any media programs yet that also support that your point maybe right. Anyhow, thanks for your kind suggestion and I will try. Hope all the guys being annoyed with this problem can find the way to get it out. God bless us and Gold bless Dell :emotion-4:

3 Posts

March 11th, 2011 11:00

See my solution below.  Works for Win 7 instalations, not sure about Vista.  IDT driver is junk, Dell should make sure it does not send any more of this product out.

3 Posts

March 11th, 2011 11:00

I fixed it, sorry I did not reply back sooner.

This solution works for Windows 7.  I have not tried another operating system.

It's actually really simple, go to Control Panel, select programs, and un-install all IDT products.  The driver has some serious issues and Dell should make sure that it does not ship anymore product with this.

Fortunately Win 7 is smart enough to recognize this device as a HD audio card and automatically pulls a generic HD audio drive that so far works quite well.  I did this 2 days ago and the issue has been completely resolved.  Not sure if this works w/ Vista, but its worth a try.

14 Posts

March 11th, 2011 12:00

@OPIRKLE

You are correct, Win7 will provide a driver.  However, I do not consider this as a fix.

Sure, if any system is having issues with a driver, removing it does solve the issue.  However, this thread was started with the intention of resolving an issue with the drive and Windows XP.

That being said, I 100% agree this driver should not be shipping and should never have shipped.  It has been almost 2 years since I first came across this issue and still no resolve from anyone who has the means of providing a resolve.

At this point, I have exhausted my time and effort on attempting to resolve or workaround.  The only resolve is to uninstall and go without audio in Windows XP...or upgrade to Win7 and do not load the driver.....

Audio Driver issues....we have your fix.....upgrade your OS.

Thanks,

Moe

No Events found!